Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
From: Maja Jakobsson, HR Officer
To: Sanjay Chaudhary
Subject: Invitation to interview at Purple Cloud
Dear Mr Chaudhary,
Thank you for applying for the position of software engineer at Purple Cloud. We would like to invite you for an interview at our Stockholm office.
Your interview is scheduled for Thursday 3 April, at 2 p.m. If this time or date is inconvenient for you, please contact me as soon as possible to rearrange the interview.
At the interview, you will meet our head of HR, Mr Liam Andersson, and our head of IT, Ms Elsa Wallin. They will be telling you more about the job and getting to know you better. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about the position and the company, and to see the office. The interview will last for about 60 minutes. Please bring two references with you for the interview.
Our offices are located on Kungsbron 2, which is a six-minute walk from Stockholm Central Station. When you arrive, please ask for Mr Liam Andersson at the reception.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
- In your email, remember to thank the candidate for their application.
- Remember to include information about:
- What position the interview is for and what will be discussed at the interview.
- When the interview will take place.
- Who to contact if there is a problem, who will be interviewing them and who the candidate should ask for when they arrive.
- Where the interview will be.
- How long the interview will last.
- What to bring – IDs (proofs of identity), references, etc.
- Write the date in words, e.g. Thursday 3 April. Don't write the date in numbers – in some countries 3 April, for example, is 3/4 and in other countries it's 4/3.
- You can end the email with a set phrase like We look forward to meeting / hearing from / seeing you soon.
That's not incorrect, but I would suggest 'Prepare answers to the questions below' instead. Since 'questions' is plural, it makes a bit more sense for 'answers' to be plural as well.
All the best
The LearnEnglish Team