Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

jmajo 提交于 周四, 13/01/2022 - 15:05

永久连接

What's your favourite kind of restaurant?
I do not use to go to restaurants very often but if I have to choose one kind, I would go to an Italian restaurant to have pasta or a traditional restaurant where they serve local grilled meet with salads and that kind of meals.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Ahmed_Abouelazm 提交于 周五, 31/12/2021 - 12:50

永久连接

My favorite restaurant is called flag 19 near my house , i can eat a various delicious food , However i can eat good dessert and drinks.

mamalirezaenglish 提交于 周三, 29/12/2021 - 12:47

永久连接

Definitely Italian restaurants.There many Italian restaurants here and their tastes are incredible.

Thein Htet Zaw 提交于 周三, 29/12/2021 - 07:28

永久连接

My favorite restaurant is Shwe bae restaurant.Actually is not a local restaurant.The main food that they selling is grill duck.So we can buy the delicious grilling duck from that restaurant .That why I like these restaurant so much. Thank you.

Albert73 提交于 周二, 28/12/2021 - 03:17

永久连接

My favorite restaurante is the one where I can order any type of food.

Anwar68 提交于 周一, 13/12/2021 - 18:18

永久连接

what difference between ( how many people? and, How many people is it for? )

Hello Anwar68,

It would also be OK for the restaurant worker to say 'How many people?' That would be understood as a shorter form of 'How many people is it (the table) for?'

It's quite common for words to be left out of a sentence when the meaning is clear.

Phạm Thị Mỹ Dung 提交于 周五, 03/12/2021 - 07:17

永久连接

I rarely eat out at luxurious restaurants because they get expensive. I usually go to street vendors where the food is awesome and various. many dishes have flavor amazing that you must stand in line in long to can buy, and the air is comfortable and crowded that is interesting for me. there are lots of famous chefs who came to enjoy street food. that is an outstanding point in my country. I wish I could sample all the food in whole my country.

dylanharris 提交于 周一, 29/11/2021 - 09:20

永久连接

I'm Vietnamese and I love our food very much, so I like to eat in a Vietnamese restaurant with lots of traditional foods.

Alaa Eldin Ade… 提交于 周三, 10/11/2021 - 18:42

永久连接

My favourite kind of restaurants is pizza.

ema sab 提交于 周五, 05/11/2021 - 21:36

永久连接

I love traditional Egyptian food restaurants

Ehsan 提交于 周二, 02/11/2021 - 09:53

永久连接

I would like to try all restaurants, and all kind of foods.

LamVanPhuong 提交于 周一, 01/11/2021 - 13:29

永久连接

it's a nice restaurant with a good view and delicious foods

metacaro90 提交于 周六, 30/10/2021 - 03:16

永久连接

My favourite kind of restaurant is the Italian food, it's delicious and wonderful, I love it.

Karol28 提交于 周一, 25/10/2021 - 01:52

永久连接

i love mexican restaurant and Italian

KyawMinThu 提交于 周六, 23/10/2021 - 10:25

永久连接

I prefer Burmese Restaurant. Burmese foods are simple and delicious.
Butter rice and pork curry is my favorite one in Burmese Food.

Kamelbenslimane 提交于 周三, 20/10/2021 - 20:19

I prefer traditional restaurant

angelomr 提交于 周二, 19/10/2021 - 17:23

永久连接

My favorite restaurant is where there are foods. LOL

Moses Habarugira 提交于 周二, 19/10/2021 - 08:21

永久连接

On préparation task, only three line can be opened.

Hello Moses Habarugira,

I'm sorry you've had trouble completing the task. I've checked it and it worked for me.

When you want to add another sentence to a group, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the words already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new words will stay but the old words will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

Thank you very much for reply.
Now it works but it's impossible to move any line in order to put in its order.
How can I do it?

MartaGali 提交于 周一, 18/10/2021 - 16:27

永久连接

My favorite kind of restaurant is a quiet one with good food.

Fabiana dos Sa… 提交于 周五, 15/10/2021 - 20:19

永久连接

My restaurant favorite is japenese food

Laura123 提交于 周三, 13/10/2021 - 07:27

永久连接

My favourite restaurant is a typical Spanish one, where tradicional food is seved.

vuhoap 提交于 周一, 11/10/2021 - 14:35

永久连接

I rarely go to restaurant. When i was child, my family always ate together at home. Until now, even though I live far from home, I still keep the habit of eating at my room.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周一, 04/10/2021 - 10:10

永久连接

My favourite restaurant is indian restaurant.

Alexis Jara 提交于 周一, 04/10/2021 - 08:20

I live in Callao, Perú. The food is very delicious in any restaurant here

Minnu 提交于 周三, 15/09/2021 - 09:55

永久连接
I don’t have any favourite kind of restaurant and I love to eat all kind of foods but I’m not a foodie person.Although I like Arabic food bit more. . However I only eat from a restaurant once in a blue moon because I try to incorporate homemade food into my diet because of health concern.

slimanes74 提交于 周四, 02/09/2021 - 17:18

永久连接
I like to prepare my personal Algerian food

FGOUAJEU 提交于 周四, 19/08/2021 - 16:05

永久连接
My favourite kind of restaurant is Japanese restaurant

Bmorales 提交于 周三, 18/08/2021 - 03:11

永久连接
Oh, I love Venezuelan food because it is tropical, innovative and varied, that is definitive

YinLiXing 提交于 周三, 04/08/2021 - 09:54

永久连接
Chinese restaurant is my favorite kind of restaurant.

KATIELLE RAIAN… 提交于 周一, 05/07/2021 - 15:40

永久连接
My favorite restaurants are Brazilian and Italian.

saeedebrahimip 提交于 周六, 12/06/2021 - 11:56

永久连接
I'd love to go to the Iranian restaurants because they are originality.

Munirah Saad 20 提交于 周日, 02/05/2021 - 22:59

my favorite kind of restaurant are Indian and Italian food

Geydibayona07 提交于 周一, 12/04/2021 - 21:10

永久连接
I love all Colombian food, it is very tasty. sometimes I like to eat pasta in italian restaurants, I love pasta because I can add cheese.
I love food and eat, so i don't have any favourite, but I don't like industrial drinks...

Andrea Valencia 提交于 周四, 01/04/2021 - 22:56

永久连接
The Italian restaurant is my favorite restaurant. I love the French restaurant too.
I rarely eat out due to ..... ;X I can cook up like a chef. ;)

Trang.22111994 提交于 周三, 31/03/2021 - 06:21

永久连接
My favourite restaurant is "Baoz". I often go to that dimsum restaurant once a month with my husband. The tasty is very good and the price too.

Nader Ahmed 提交于 周六, 27/03/2021 - 13:15

永久连接
My favorite restaurant is the sea gul restaurant for seafood and Hany Elgarary for Arabic food.

erum 提交于 周六, 27/03/2021 - 05:53

永久连接
Hello Everyone. My favourite kind of restaurant is the clean restaurant where you can sit easily and happily. I like those restaurants where staff is friendly, helpful and cooperative. Thank you.

sanazmajidi 提交于 周三, 24/03/2021 - 09:30

永久连接
I don't have the exact favorite restaurant but I prefer Iranian foods or something spicy like Indian or Mexican. I love them. but sometimes I feel to eat Italian food especially types of pastas.

tvkien 提交于 周三, 24/03/2021 - 02:37

永久连接
Not much, I don't go to the restaurant much because I like to make food at home. But sometimes, I and my wife go to the restaurant seafood buffet for the event

feyarita 提交于 周二, 23/03/2021 - 15:16

永久连接
My favorite restaurant is home made restaurant.

DarwinM 提交于 周二, 16/03/2021 - 23:16

永久连接
My favourite kind of restaurants are chifas and coastal ones because I really love shrimps, ceviche, chop suey and chaulafan, for example.

Minh 提交于 周二, 16/03/2021 - 16:45

永久连接
Well. I'm originally from Viet Nam, so my favorite is traditional Viet Nam meal. Therefore, I always take my family to the Vietnamese restaurant. On the other hand, all kind of cuisines in my country is well known in the world. Most of tourists are keen on tasting them. That is reason why I proudly say to my country. Moreover, we have a number of fabulous sightseeing which are extremely in the world. If you come there one time, I ensure that you are never forget about my country. It is a amazing place which is worth for traveling.