Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

jmajo 提交于 周四, 20/01/2022 - 16:08

永久连接

No I haven't, there was one in my neighborhood but it was closed a long time ago, most of the people here buy it's own books or use digital books nowadays. When I want or need a book I use to buy a book or search online books for a digital edition.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

ocelfrat 提交于 周六, 01/01/2022 - 15:00

永久连接

Yes, ı have a local library. I go to the library twice a week

Albert73 提交于 周三, 29/12/2021 - 21:33

永久连接

In my country we have two local libraries. Thirty years ago I went frequently to do homeworks from my high school courses. Now, a few people go to the local libraries because they found their information on the internet.

mamalirezaenglish 提交于 周三, 29/12/2021 - 13:23

永久连接

There is local library near to our house. I used to go there 6 years ago to get ready for university entrance exam. I've haven't gone there since 2015.

zehrizer 提交于 周五, 17/12/2021 - 19:24

永久连接

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there?
When ı was student at mersin university ı used to go frequently to library. I used to study for exam and make research. But now i dont go. I have no idea about that there is a local library in my cit or not.

yasmin.a 提交于 周二, 14/12/2021 - 12:06

永久连接

We have a local library. I have a library card too but I haven't borrowed any books for years because they don't have new books.
A long time ago, before I graduated from high school, I used to borrow books from there at least twice a month.
Is this correct?

Hello yasmin.a,

I'm afraid we aren't able to provide the service of checking our users' texts, but just this time I'll say yes, your sentences are grammatically correct. Well done!

We're happy to help with specific questions about a specific phrase or sentence, though, and it really helps us if you explain why you think something is correct or incorrect.

lebanhatlongg 提交于 周一, 29/11/2021 - 13:40

永久连接

there is no library in my locality, because my locality not modern. But i wish to be built here in few years. I will working in that maybe twice a week because of i like the quiet

Tien Manh 提交于 周四, 25/11/2021 - 09:22

永久连接

The local library is so far away from my home so that I just go there once or twice per month to read books. The library has a beautiful view of the river.

Kamelbenslimane 提交于 周日, 21/11/2021 - 20:41

永久连接

In my city, we have a library next to the church. I go to there one or two time per week. I work remotely as designer and I like to work in the calm sometimes.

Ehsan 提交于 周三, 17/11/2021 - 06:13

永久连接

I used to go when I was preparing for university entrance exam and afterward I used to go when I was a student in the university. but I don't go now.

cassia_1982 提交于 周二, 16/11/2021 - 11:44

永久连接

I don’t have a library near my house, but I have been reading some books with my son. He brings some books from the library at the school he studies.
I have doubt about the text . The comprehension is that someone is looking for a library, it’s means that is the first time that he is there. So if it’s the first time, why the person said : every day you are late .

Hello cassia_1982,

Yes, that's right, it's the first time the student has been in the library. When the librarian says 'Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence', he means that every day that a book is late, you have to pay 50p. For example, if the book must be returned on Wednesday 17 November and you return it on Friday 19 November, you have to pay one pound (50p for each of the two days it was returned late). You can see the full conversation written out in the Transcript -- that might help too.

Does that make sense?

John Nguyen 提交于 周一, 08/11/2021 - 02:57

永久连接

Where I'm live there's no library, so I'm go to my university where has a library. I regular go to there to do homework and research for information technology

ANOUAR 提交于 周三, 03/11/2021 - 12:13

永久连接

Where I'm living there's no library but in the city where I was born there was a library where I was borrowing books

LamVanPhuong 提交于 周三, 03/11/2021 - 08:51

永久连接

in my university school has a library, i don't go there often because i just go there when i have to do teamwork with my friends because in the library has some private rooms to discussion so we won't disturb the others there. in additions, we can look for documents when we need for our homework.

KyawMinThu 提交于 周日, 24/10/2021 - 10:40

永久连接

I rarely went to the library when I was an engineering university student.
There were lots of book shelves surrounded the library and various books are available there.

vuhoap 提交于 周六, 16/10/2021 - 00:51

永久连接

I don't know whether there has a local library where I live or not. However, when I was college, we had a university library. I often went to library in the lunch time in the days of week. Sometimes, I went with my friends. We did the exercise together or prepared for next lecture. That was all memory that I had.

nhuvannam93 提交于 周日, 10/10/2021 - 15:00

永久连接

there is no library where i live, i like look at books online

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周一, 04/10/2021 - 10:40

永久连接

No, I'm live a city but all libraries are very far from my location. I like to read in home.

Minnu 提交于 周三, 15/09/2021 - 11:27

永久连接
Yes.There is a local library near to my home and I was a regular member there before this COVID pandemic. Now the library opens rarely so I had been stopped to take out book from the library. Before pandemic I used to visit there every week and take out at least one book and I try to return the book before due date however sometimes I forgot to return books and paid fine for that. Mostly I tried to avoid mobile phone when I was inside the library otherwise I always use phone rather than reading books. I used to read lot books when I’m younger but now I didn’t get enough time to read because of work.

KATIELLE RAIAN… 提交于 周四, 08/07/2021 - 14:16

永久连接
Yes, there is a library near my house. Normally, I go once a month. I get books to read.

Andrea Valencia 提交于 周三, 23/06/2021 - 21:01

永久连接
No, I don't have a local library. I used to go to my university library, I read a lot of books in the university library.

saeedebrahimip 提交于 周一, 14/06/2021 - 11:53

永久连接
Yes I do. I rarely go there, because their books are really old. I offer buy new books.

Marce-English 提交于 周日, 23/05/2021 - 14:46

永久连接
Near my house there is a library, right next to my daughter's school, when I have some important exams, I visit this place, so I focus better.
Recently I enjoy reading a bookstore like a library. :)

Samqaid 提交于 周三, 12/05/2021 - 22:15

永久连接
No, i have an university library So i sometimes borrow some books. At studying time, i'm going there and bring my laptop and wear the headphones then i listen to music and have fun, i'm intersted in borrowing books

nurpais (未验证) 提交于 周三, 12/05/2021 - 17:35

永久连接
Yes, we have a local library but nobody goes there

Munirah Saad 20 提交于 周日, 02/05/2021 - 23:18

永久连接
yes there is in my city but I never visit it because reading it was not famous habit in my country but now it is ,so I will visit it when covied-19 move
Yes, We have a local Library, but by the pandemic situation it is closed. When I had visit the library, I liked to read the history books

zezosameh 提交于 周二, 27/04/2021 - 21:21

永久连接
Unfortunately, I don't have a local library, but I hope to have one in my city, as I like to read books and I will go there many times.

tinekeorie 提交于 周一, 19/04/2021 - 10:27

永久连接
In my town there is a local library and until two years ago I often went there to borrow books. Now I have an e-reader and so I'm not going anymore.

henrik 提交于 周四, 08/04/2021 - 19:21

永久连接
My city has a local library but the pandemic situation closed down. In now days my College have a digital library.

DarwinM 提交于 周三, 07/04/2021 - 01:40

永久连接
I don't have a local library. But before the pandemic I used to go to study at the central library of my university. I enjoy that atmosphere. I usually went there almost three times a week with a few friends. We usually studied, prepared for tests and helped each other.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周二, 06/04/2021 - 04:03

永久连接
No, I regularly go to the university library for study. I'm like reading in calm place. In this covid time I usually study in home and most of the time I spend on internet to read subject related books.

Kunthea 提交于 周四, 01/04/2021 - 10:05

永久连接
There is no a library near here. I used to go the library when I was a college student. But now I read books at home and do the research on the internet. Reading books, listening to the music and working on the assignments with group in the library brought me a good feeling and I felt more calm and could concentrate on my studying well. I miss that time so much!

victor.07 提交于 周三, 31/03/2021 - 21:03

永久连接
Yes, I have a local library but I do not go often. In it students borrow books

Nader Ahmed 提交于 周一, 29/03/2021 - 14:55

永久连接
Yes, I have one of the best and oldest libraries around the world, it's Alexandria library, I went there many times, my brother was working there.

tvkien 提交于 周五, 26/03/2021 - 04:03

永久连接
When I was a student, there is a local library near my university. I often went to the library three a week after finish class. In there, I read books

SaraMessa 提交于 周三, 24/03/2021 - 17:56

永久连接
I visited a library today and found there were few visitors. Very quiet and somehow I felt happy. ;)

Veronikka 提交于 周日, 21/03/2021 - 18:25

永久连接
Actually, I don't have a local library near to my home, but when I was a student I have it. I went to the library once a week for a book. I remember I liked to read books about the British literature, and short stories for practising my reading skills. Nowadays, I read books and news on the Internet, because I think I can find the most update information on it.

MikhailZatopliaev 提交于 周三, 17/03/2021 - 22:15

永久连接
Yes, I do. I don't visit library very often, now I can find all what I need in Internet.

Minh 提交于 周三, 17/03/2021 - 17:01

永久连接
That is an interesting questions. Reading books is my cup of tea. We have a number of libraries around my house. Therefore, I am in the seven heaven, I usually go there twice a weeks. I am keen on reading all kind of books. Fortunately, I am quite reading science books the most, so I have read books and enjoy peaceful. Moreover, I mostly concentrate to think and create a plenty my projects. From of my view, if people enjoy reading books, it give you more benefit than you could imagine.

TIa vinaka 提交于 周六, 13/03/2021 - 02:38

永久连接
Yes there is a library in my town. I go there about once every 3 month to borrow books. there is no wifi. when I went to library in Australia or NZ, there are free wifi is normally available at all libraries. and some have cafes. so I had a coffee, using free wifi to look for a job, to search for tips ,to make resume and more. I stayed library much longer than in my country. I miss libraries in Australia and NZ.
Hi TIa vinaka ! I am an interesting reading books, too. It really sounds goods to hear from you. I am keen on reading books. I hope we can discuss about all kinds of books and your ideas.

Giuliana 提交于 周一, 08/03/2021 - 19:19

永久连接
Actually there's not a local library near to my house for that reason i don't go often to library but i would like go
Yes, I have a local Library. I go there once a week. I can read or listening books, I can connect my phone to the internet or use a computer and I can borrow books, movies, video games and musical instruments.