Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Louvennea Joyenne 提交于 周四, 19/09/2019 - 09:11

永久连接
We do have local library here but i don't go to the local library instead i only go to my university library. I have done my answering all the questions.

Pawani 提交于 周三, 18/09/2019 - 13:33

永久连接
I don't go to the library. but some times I use internet.
Well, we do have a local library but there aren't enough books or facilities for many people. Frankly, l rarely visit it. Nowadays, I mostly use the internet to study. I also have a good collection of books at home.
Profile picture for user Cheeseontop

Cheeseontop 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 16:58

永久连接
The librarian said “ you can take up to six books maximum today “. What does “ take up” mean ?. Does it have the same meaning with borrow ?

Hello Cheeseontop

In this sentence, the verb is 'take', which implies 'borrowing' in this context, and then 'up to' is a preposition meaning 'up until'. It expresses the same idea as 'maximum' in this case, so actually the librarian could have just said 'up to six books' instead of 'up to six books maximum'.

Does that make sense?

All the best

vahidvahediasl 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 10:38

永久连接
my university has a good library...students are always silent so i can study with hight quality

raza.umar 提交于 周一, 16/09/2019 - 17:46

永久连接
Hi, I am from Gujranwala, Pakistan. We have a public library in our town. It is a good library that entailing lot of books of all fields. I, often go there and read many books and newspapers. Moreover, I also have the membership card so, I can easily go there and read many books as I can.

lethanhhoa85 提交于 周三, 11/09/2019 - 10:00

永久连接
This is the first time I have a comment on this site. I really like this website, it is very useful for me to learn English. I don't have a local library. But I used to go to the library at my university when I was a student. I went there for borrowing some book to read. I love reading book :D

bawk san aung 提交于 周二, 27/08/2019 - 17:52

永久连接
American center is the best place for a library in my country. Inspiration and motivation are given by that to me. It opens 6 days a week and i usually go there on Saturday once a week. So many books are attracting me but i usually choose the laptop one to practice this website.Because the wifi is available with free with good connection there.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Magedelabd 提交于 周六, 17/08/2019 - 17:56

永久连接
i rely do not know if we have a local library in my area because it is not published by the government . i think that no body care abut it . i read electronic books . i read one book per month . i like the human development books .

Longan1991 提交于 周五, 16/08/2019 - 11:23

永久连接
Actually, there is no library in my country. My university has a small library on the second floor. There are only law books. I registered another library card to read many kinds of books. I often go to the library on weekend. I read books most of time. I spend hours in the library
Profile picture for user shinhaphura

shinhaphura 提交于 周四, 15/08/2019 - 07:38

永久连接
No, there's no library in my village, but I can read books in my home because of many books that bought by me. We usually read book at the free time such as after working time. It made the good habit for my daughters so they like reading books also.
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

shahramuteng 提交于 周三, 14/08/2019 - 21:24

永久连接
There are two local libraries in our downstreet, I went to one of them once time. and I asked about what I need to use the library. After that, I went to none of them and any other library.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Caterina Siligardi 提交于 周日, 11/08/2019 - 11:30

永久连接
There are some libraries in my town where I go twice a month to borrow interesting books. I 'm usually a punctual customer, it means that I like to be on time in getting back the books to the librarian .

Toanrt 提交于 周五, 02/08/2019 - 10:05

永久连接
We have but no free library 200k vnd a year and i read ebook so don't need to use it

samreenmkhan 提交于 周二, 30/07/2019 - 10:30

永久连接
well i don't have a library near my place i have one in my college when i need a quite place to read my test i go there and do my practice there.

jdevera21 提交于 周二, 30/07/2019 - 10:28

永久连接
Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there? I graduated and finished my five years engineering bachelor degree in my alma mater where the main capital of the Philippines, Manila the only state university in the region, I'm proud to say that this more than 100 years old university holds the largest and biggest library in the local city. I usually go there every day during school days especially when there is major research, projects, and dissertation. I and my classmates have tons of happy memories to reminisce inside our library because we had a lot of activities to do so like group study, home works, presentations and reviews for exams. What makes this library special to me there is a place they called "Art Room" a very unique space for those people who want design, draw, and paint because there is a special table for individuals where you can plot your drawings and express your feelings thru art. It's also my past time during long breaks at school and our favorite place to hang out with my friends because in this place you can feel peace of mind and secure that all information that you're looking it's just behind the bookshelves.

Mohd_tom1990 提交于 周二, 23/07/2019 - 20:19

永久连接
In my library school if want borrow books you can take one book if when you bring book you can take anthor one. Allso need library card to borrow book.

gedi 提交于 周一, 22/07/2019 - 04:28

永久连接
yes there is library in my village and i go once a week also i take the form of application to barrow some books

salehisalehi65 提交于 周一, 15/07/2019 - 09:45

永久连接
yes, we've, but i think its better never inter to this library, because its book refer to world war duration and all are rubbish, well although we are in thirth world fuc... country name is iran, colonized by islam religion from 1400 years before

Chue 提交于 周日, 14/07/2019 - 09:46

永久连接
Yes,I have.I go there once a week.I lend the books that I want to read and learn about my specialization and also take old questions to study and ask for copying outside.Then, I pay back them to the library staff.

thanhtam 提交于 周一, 08/07/2019 - 00:28

永久连接
Yes, I have a local library. I had it when I came to library 2 months ago. I like it too much. Because it's easy for me to borrow some books so fast. When I studied at school, I went there one/week to find book for studying. Sometimes I read funny stories. And now in this summar vacation, I off schooll so I have a lot of free time. So I usually go to library three times/week.

Hello thanhtam

Since you mention going to school, I just wanted to say that our site is made for adult learners of English. If you are under 18, you should go to LearnEnglish Teens, which has topics that are probably more interesting for you.

If you're 18 or older, please forgive me for writing. It's just that for legal reasons, users on our site must be at least this age.

All the best

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Rafaela1 提交于 周日, 07/07/2019 - 14:54

永久连接
Yes, I have a local library near my house which has a number of books. I run through some books there. Today, I borrowed 8 books. ◖ฺ|⌯˃̶₎₃₍˂̶ ॣ|◗·˳♪⁎˚♫

fariba 提交于 周日, 07/07/2019 - 10:45

永久连接
yes ,there is a local library near my home.many years i haven't gone there . i had studied my lessons.
Profile picture for user Zaw Win Aung

Zaw Win Aung 提交于 周四, 04/07/2019 - 16:14

永久连接
I prefer to read books in the library. When my student’s time, I used to go to library and read the books there.

popo1011 提交于 周一, 01/07/2019 - 08:15

永久连接
There is not a library around my home. But i go to a library inside my office. its books are about building engineering. meantime I have a little library in my home. specially, I read psychology books, Jojo Moyes novels.
There is a library in my school. I go there once a week and read quietly in this.

Diana0419 提交于 周日, 30/06/2019 - 07:09

永久连接
Of course! There is a local library where is near my house. I love to go to the library in my free time because the library has a lot of materials for me to read or use, such as CDs, lectures, references and more. Therefore, it is convenient for me to acquire some useful knowledge to preview.

chris-kutte 提交于 周四, 27/06/2019 - 09:48

永久连接
I have a library in the old school of my home town. Usually I don't go to the library. I prefer to read articles and books online.

Mennaosama 提交于 周二, 25/06/2019 - 04:18

永久连接
i do not have any library inside me so i donot go to it

Roger Rogers 提交于 周一, 24/06/2019 - 12:55

永久连接
There is a library next to our building but I never tried borrowing a single book. I prefer reading online articles.

Pawani 提交于 周三, 19/06/2019 - 13:31

永久连接
I went to library in my school time. But I can't go now because I haven't got free time.

Praveen kumar 提交于 周一, 10/06/2019 - 12:18

永久连接
I have a liabrary in my collage and I borrow some book and somtime I spend freetime to read some store books.

abdalhameed 提交于 周日, 09/06/2019 - 18:08

永久连接
I prefer to read in my home, I sometimes go to my university library to burrow the books that i need

Agata2021 提交于 周一, 03/06/2019 - 12:54

永久连接
Yes, we have a local library. I go there two times a month. I like reading and usually I borrow books, especially proffesional books for my field.

mhazizi 提交于 周二, 28/05/2019 - 16:17

永久连接
Hi anyone I have a small library in my hose and a big library in my office. I reefer to my library in my hose every week, but my visit into the library in my office is not a lot. However, I like to visit it very much because the environment of library is very relaxing and quiet. Thanks
Profile picture for user andredithfv

andredithfv 提交于 周一, 20/05/2019 - 06:15

永久连接
I have a local library. I go two days for week there. I like read literature books there, I see friends there too, and we speaks about books, or politic, or music there. I go to borrow books, because I am research about history off my country and I need read about this. I like go to take write class too. The last book that I go to borrow was Sunset Park of Paul Auster.

Binitachowdhury 提交于 周二, 14/05/2019 - 19:26

永久连接
Yes, i have a local Library it is actually my University library. I often go there for reading & preparing for my assignments . Besides i go there for time spending.

Wahiba 提交于 周二, 14/05/2019 - 00:55

永久连接
I had gone to the library of the university for 05 Years when I was student.I went there to borrow books and I revise my lessons. I loved working there it was a beautiful and quiet area.

Setareh 提交于 周日, 12/05/2019 - 16:05

永久连接
There are lot of libraries in my town, but I never use them, because I prefer study in my house and when I need new books I prefer buy them.

gallo 提交于 周四, 09/05/2019 - 17:08

永久连接
Hi friends, I am writting you from a small village in Seville, Spain. In my town there is a public library but I have never used to study or borrow books from there because I have prefered my home to study and I use to look for information from internet. I like reading but I always buy the books which are read for me.
Profile picture for user Ana Luisa Sanchez Arroyo

Ana Luisa Sanc… 提交于 周四, 09/05/2019 - 00:42

永久连接
I live in Mexico City, and there are a few libraries here, and I can´t go there often because they are far a way from my house.

Liv hoang 提交于 周三, 08/05/2019 - 07:06

永久连接
There are lots of libraries in Hanoi City Center. I like library of France cultural center. I go to there afterwork to read and study. I usually borrow books, cds and dvds from library to home.
Profile picture for user Stanley Alvarez

Stanley Alvarez 提交于 周六, 04/05/2019 - 02:18

永久连接
Yes I do. There is a neighborhood library but I don't use it, because I live near to university and so I can go to university library. There, I often carry my laptop and write about some document I'm preparing for my studies.

phyulay 提交于 周五, 03/05/2019 - 07:58

永久连接
Yes,I have.I went there once a week and I studied there for an hour and then when I went back,I borrowed two books to home.
Profile picture for user Hana Jasumin

Hana Jasumin 提交于 周五, 19/04/2019 - 15:18

永久连接
yes, i have local labrary but i go rarely there

Adem-new 提交于 周四, 18/04/2019 - 11:01

永久连接
Yes, I have a library card as well as two different library card. I was going to the local library but at the moment I can't go because the library is so far from me.

César Árraga 提交于 周日, 14/04/2019 - 20:55

永久连接
Yes, I do. The local library is 20 minutes from my house on public transport. Generally, I going to library three times for week and in the study room, I usually going to read my books when I'll take a test in my Institute or sometimes I use the library's computer to investigate on the internet.