Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Phạm Thị Mỹ Dung 提交于 周一, 06/12/2021 - 15:41

永久连接

Whenever I meet someone new, I frequently compliment them on their hair, appearance, or clothing. Then I may talk about their work, hobbies, name, age, among other things.

Charles.Baguma 提交于 周二, 30/11/2021 - 22:04

永久连接

when I meet a new person I normally introduce my self first next I ask for his name, what he does and where he is from

Ehsan 提交于 周二, 23/11/2021 - 06:28

永久连接

It varies according to different circumstances. we see the people in different places, different situations and etc. for example if I see a person in a gym, we will talk about during activity time of us in the gym. days that we came to the gym. we can talk about work out and etc.

Kamelbenslimane 提交于 周一, 22/11/2021 - 19:49

永久连接

When I meet people for the first time, i usually tall about work, study and hobbies.

Poorna.chander 提交于 周四, 11/11/2021 - 02:53

永久连接

When i meet new people for first time, I first say Hai and what is your name, where are you from and what are you doing and where do you work and what do you work, i ask about office details and are you happy with your work at your current working office

John Nguyen 提交于 周一, 08/11/2021 - 03:11

永久连接

For the first time I meet someone, we talk about name, age and university where we studying

nikta 提交于 周六, 06/11/2021 - 08:05

永久连接

when I meet new people, I'm be polite and ask them about their personality. and I try be friend with them especially if they're like me.

ANOUAR 提交于 周五, 05/11/2021 - 12:04

永久连接

When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask them about their name and some other stuff depending on the situation and the circumstances where we've been meet.

LamVanPhuong 提交于 周四, 04/11/2021 - 14:25

永久连接

when i meet a new friend, i usually talk about their hometown, age, job,...

metacaro90 提交于 周六, 30/10/2021 - 19:44

永久连接

I get used to be kind with people I don't know, so, I ask them about their lifes, where they come from?, what's they favourite music and what kind of hobbies they practice and so on.

KyawMinThu 提交于 周日, 24/10/2021 - 11:12

永久连接

When I meet people for the first time, firstly,I introduce myself and I said nice to meet them . Then asking about their jobs , education, abilities and more.

vuhoap 提交于 周日, 17/10/2021 - 02:15

永久连接

When I meet people for the first time, I usually talk about
greetings, basic personal information or hobby to find the same point for continuing the conversation.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周一, 04/10/2021 - 11:00

永久连接

Whenever I meet new people I talked about name, work, from which place, nice to meet you and other things
First expression is the last expression.

bassamlkhtb90 提交于 周四, 30/09/2021 - 07:22

永久连接

How can I download this track?

Hello bassamlkhtb90,
If you are using a computer, do a right-click on top of the audio player and then choose the option 'Save as' and you should be able to download it. If you're using a tablet or a phone, I imagine you can also download it, but how you do that depends on what kind of operating system you have.
Best wishes,

Montaneda 提交于 周四, 23/09/2021 - 04:19

永久连接
When I meet people for fist time, introduce myself and I like to be friendly.

Andrea Valencia 提交于 周六, 03/07/2021 - 14:55

永久连接
I usually talk about my work and studies, I talk about my city and hobbies as well.

saeedebrahimip 提交于 周二, 15/06/2021 - 11:39

永久连接
I try start a conversation with Hiiiiiiii, how are you?

Munirah Saad 20 提交于 周一, 24/05/2021 - 10:10

永久连接
I talk about the place where we are or common topic like our doctor and services if we are at hospital , I usually talkative woman so I try to find topics for talking with anew people .

Marce-English 提交于 周日, 23/05/2021 - 16:23

永久连接
The first time I meet someone at work, I try to be friendly and help them in everything they need.

Samqaid 提交于 周三, 12/05/2021 - 22:30

永久连接
when i meet the people for the first time, i introduce myself and make a friendship with them. i take a first impression about them. i notice if he is good, i will deep and get in contact with him continually. or not i will stay a normal relationship with them. I love to create a close relationship with people who are sincere and honest

DarwinM 提交于 周三, 07/04/2021 - 04:06

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time, I usually introduce myself. Then, I ask them their name and start to talk about hobbies and finally other topics.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周二, 06/04/2021 - 04:22

永久连接
When I meet new people first introduce myself then I ask what's your name, what do you do, where are you from and more talk about country culture custom and other many things

victor.07 提交于 周一, 05/04/2021 - 22:27

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time I talk about hobbies and music
Background, weather, interest.... ;)

Nader Ahmed 提交于 周三, 31/03/2021 - 14:28

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time, I starting by introducing myself and ask them to introduce themselves, after that, we can talk about our works.

Deyse Pinheiro… 提交于 周二, 30/03/2021 - 19:23

永久连接
When I don't know the person, I am quiet. But as I meet this person, I start to talk more.

tvkien 提交于 周六, 27/03/2021 - 09:04

永久连接
I usually start a conversation with new one by introduce myself first, and then ask he/she name, what's study or work, something like that. If he/she is friendly, we will talk whatever

SaraMessa 提交于 周三, 24/03/2021 - 18:05

永久连接
I'm very shy, so when I meet new people, I don't speak a lot. Usually I introduce my self, I speak about my job and my hobbies. Then I ask something about him/her.

sherzad 提交于 周二, 23/03/2021 - 08:10

永久连接
I say: Hi, I'm Sherzad, nice to meet you. where are you from? what do you do? tell me more about you mother tongue.

Veronikka 提交于 周日, 21/03/2021 - 18:49

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself and then ask them for their names, work area, last job or place of work. And I offer my help in case you need it.

TIa vinaka 提交于 周日, 14/03/2021 - 03:12

永久连接
Meeting people for the first time, What I talk about is it depends on where I meet the person. I try to find some common things if I want to make a good relationship with them. But normally I start with greetings and ask their names. then occupation, which country their from, where they live, something like that.
Hi, I am Mikhail. Good answer. I am learning English like you) I want find new people for communication and learn more fast. I am economist for oil company. I like bicycle, chess, books and many things. If you want communication too, plz send me mail to **********@*****.com Goodbye)

Hi MikhailZatopliaev,

Unfortunately, sharing personal contact details is not allowed in our House Rules. But you can practise conversation by writing comments and replies here on this site :)

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Giuliana 提交于 周二, 09/03/2021 - 16:42

永久连接
I usually when i meet a new person I ask him/her what his name is, where he/ she from, how old are you, if she or he study and what's study or work and after i talk whatever
When I meet people for the first time I introduce myself and ask questions about work, studies, family and hobbies.

RicardoRodrigu… 提交于 周五, 05/03/2021 - 04:51

永久连接
when I meet news people the first that I say. hello, are you ok?. Whats your name? it's nice to meet you.

Majidaa909 提交于 周四, 25/02/2021 - 14:24

永久连接
I usually first ask is name and whrer is working .

MilGer 提交于 周六, 20/02/2021 - 11:23

永久连接
When I meet people I say 'Hi'

Turko 提交于 周二, 16/02/2021 - 17:35

永久连接
when i meet with new one for the first time i try to seem helpful and friendly. if i feel closely i make a joke after i ask some question like what do you do? and anything and i think that is beautiful

Brenda Patrici… 提交于 周一, 15/02/2021 - 15:58

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time, I don't talk to them much, but I sometimes say 'beautiful day' or 'it's cold' and I would rather talk about them than myself.

Nasywa Shiyami… 提交于 周一, 15/02/2021 - 03:17

永久连接
When i meet new people for the first time i say greeting and introduce myself first, and usually i ask about they name, what name that i have use to call them, what they do (i mean they a student or worker), where they come, what they do in the place we meet, ask with whom they go and ended by general conversations but depends whom i meet and talk with.
Weather. (⊹^◡^)ノo.♡゚。* Beautiful day, isn't it? ~*。♡

Angel Ramirez 提交于 周日, 14/02/2021 - 02:35

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time, I ask questions about hobbies, interests, musical tastes, studies, work, partners, etc.

Brona 提交于 周五, 12/02/2021 - 17:27

永久连接
Generally, I would introduce myself and then ask him or her name. And then ask how is their day been so far , talk about the weather etc. I am not much of a talker and so I would let the other person speak. And then in between I would have few inputs of mine to put in.
I usually start with greeting. ;)

ajoomy1 提交于 周三, 10/02/2021 - 10:47

永久连接
I talk to them in general

Shreya chakma 提交于 周一, 08/02/2021 - 10:25

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time, First let's get acquainted. Then I want to know about them and want to know where they live and what they do.

Rao786 提交于 周五, 22/01/2021 - 07:37

永久连接
Hi British council! I think all comments are useful or helpful for all beginners. When I Frist meet with my friends I try to make /offers a joke, make a group friend laugh and enjoy to my meeting and then ask him how are you? Studies and so alot thing about him.

Leila77 提交于 周四, 21/01/2021 - 11:06

永久连接
When I meet people for the first time I usually introduce myself and we talk about our job and our studies.