A weather forecast

Listen to a weather forecast and answer the questions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello and good morning! Well, we're off to a good start in the south this week, as most of the rain from the weekend has disappeared – just a few patches of cloud and maybe some showers here on the east coast. They'll all clear up by lunchtime, though. Over the next day or so, London and the area around Kent can expect a couple of isolated showers, but mostly dry through until Thursday.

It's not such good news for the north-west this week, I'm afraid: more wet weather, and not a lot of sunshine. Some of today's showers will be heavy – and even thundery in Manchester and across the Pennines. Leeds will escape the thunderstorms, with drizzle and light rain only throughout the rest of the day and tonight.

Elsewhere it becomes dry today, but with some foggy patches towards Wales. In England, tomorrow morning will see a dry, bright start in most places, with high temperatures throughout the week. We might see one or two thunderstorms appearing as the week goes on, with temperatures everywhere at 29 to 30 degrees.

By the weekend, unfortunately, the dry weather will make way for mostly cloudy skies and rain. The rain will move from Scotland, down towards the north and reach the south coast by Saturday afternoon. Temperatures, at least, will stay mostly warm at around 21 degrees for the weekend. It might feel like a nice change from the high twenties and early thirties we'll see in the week. That's all from me until tomorrow. Enjoy the mini-heatwave while you can!

vuhoap 提交于 周一, 15/11/2021 - 23:55

永久连接

I like hot weather best because I don't need to wear a lot of clothes and can use a fan or get the cool breeze from the window.

ceehinh 提交于 周一, 25/10/2021 - 03:31

永久连接

i like cold weather, like have snow or something like that. because i live in a country which is tropical climate. there are two seasons clearly: dry and rain so that i want to experience cold weather.

siddhuk 提交于 周六, 16/10/2021 - 10:52

永久连接

Like both sunny and rainy weather

Amer Ha 提交于 周日, 03/10/2021 - 03:01

永久连接

I like the breeze weather best

Rolabaik 提交于 周四, 30/09/2021 - 16:29

永久连接

plz what mean of ''we're off to a good start"

Hello Rolabaik,

'to be off to a good start' means 'to be a good start'. In this case, the weather person means that the week in the south has started with good weather. When people in the UK speak of 'good weather', they almost always mean sunny weather.

Nowadays we can see a few situation of weather in just one day in Turkey. While north of country is rainy south of country is too hot -about 45 degrees-

Stela Stoycheva 提交于 周二, 03/08/2021 - 22:28

永久连接
Oo, I love sunny, hot day maybe because I live next to the sea...and I like to do sun bath on the sand and to be with darker tan :) But even in winter cold days have something amazing, but I`m sure its not energy bill :D :)

KATIELLE RAIAN… 提交于 周四, 29/07/2021 - 20:11

永久连接
I love hot weather, but cold weather is nice too.
Cold weather and foggy are the best for me. I enjoy low temperatures and gray skies, as I'm walking or riding my bike.

GiulianaAndy 提交于 周日, 20/06/2021 - 19:24

永久连接
I like best wet weather because I like jump into small water puddles
I like a cool and dry day with blue sky. :)

Munirah Saad 20 提交于 周一, 07/06/2021 - 09:48

永久连接
I like rainy and cloudy weather.

bella1970 提交于 周五, 14/05/2021 - 20:09

永久连接
I don’t like rainy weather, but I love warm weather

MikhailZatopliaev 提交于 周三, 28/04/2021 - 22:53

永久连接
I like sunshine, but not heat weather. It is comfortable for me, though I like rain sometime, and fresh air after rain, it is amazing.

Morrow 提交于 周二, 20/04/2021 - 17:03

永久连接
It’s depend. When it’s sunday, i like rainy weather but on normal day i like cloudy or warm weather

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周五, 16/04/2021 - 03:07

永久连接
I like rainy season. I also like cold season but not very cold.in this time where I live is very hot season. I hate hot season. It's very difficult for me. Hot season make you a very lazy person and not to much work. So I like temperature between 10°-20° Celcius.
I prefer fairly widespread dry and very warm day. ;)

Frank Cuello 提交于 周一, 29/03/2021 - 02:02

永久连接
I prefer when it's raining because I love the cold air and the sound of the little drops.

Marcos Santos 提交于 周五, 12/03/2021 - 14:50

永久连接
I like all kinds of weather as long as I have the right clothes on (or maybe not lol).

Sara Kalafat 提交于 周五, 12/03/2021 - 11:37

永久连接
The sunny weather because it provides me with full energy to start my day

kaldibekamir 提交于 周四, 04/03/2021 - 06:42

永久连接
I like rainy weather because I live in town,where always hot.

kaldibekamir 提交于 周四, 04/03/2021 - 06:28

I like rainy weather

VahidAataf 提交于 周一, 01/03/2021 - 09:06

永久连接
I liked the rainy weather when I was living in a sunny city, and now I missed that weather since I live in an always wet, foggy town.

Cesar Silva Gajardo 提交于 周二, 23/02/2021 - 18:30

永久连接
I love the fall and spring weather, little heat during the day and cooler nights.
Sunny and warm weather is fine. ;)

Natasa Tanasa 提交于 周三, 17/02/2021 - 12:56

永久连接
Hello everyone! Could anyone tell me what the difference is between THROUGHOUT and THROUGH? Also, how and when to use these two words? Thank you in advance! Sincerely, Natasa

Hello Natasa Tanasa,

Both words have several uses, but I think the one that may be confusing is this:

The disease spread throughout the country.

The disease spread through the country.

In this use, the difference is degree: throughout suggests it reached every part of the country, while through suggests is spread widely, but not necessarily to every single place.

If you had a different context in mind then feel free to provide an example and we'll be happy to comment.

Thank you so much for the answer Peter M! I had some doubts about the next sentence: * It is important to maintain a positive attitude throughout the interview... And that's why I wasn't sure when to use through or throughout. :/

Hello again Natasa Tanasa,

The sentence is fine. We can use throughout to mean 'from beginning to end', which is the meaning it has in your example.

Sofía Alejandra 提交于 周三, 17/02/2021 - 03:11

永久连接
The weather I like most is drizzle, cloudy and wet days, because I usually sit down in my favorite couch of my house, reading a novel and drinking tea.

German 提交于 周二, 16/02/2021 - 00:46

永久连接
I like the cold weather. I live in Bogotá, Colombia and I love the weather here because is not hot although sometimes drizzle I like that. Here we have heatwaves but is not usual, the most days are rainy days or with little sun

Alessandro893 提交于 周三, 10/02/2021 - 23:59

Actually i preffer Sunny weather. I love it

Abrarhussain 提交于 周日, 07/02/2021 - 23:39

永久连接
I like sunshine the best, because in sunny weather I enjoy and feel happy.

lean 提交于 周日, 31/01/2021 - 08:32

永久连接
Hi What an interesting sounds did I hear while I was listening the recording ? :-))))))))))))))))))))) Do Britishcouncil record lesson on the kitchen ? :-))))))))))))))))))))))

Peter M. 提交于 周一, 01/02/2021 - 07:46

lean 回复

Hi lean,

Actually, you're almost correct! The text is a weather forecast which people often listen to in the kitchen, so there are background noises from a kitchen. When I listen to it I feel like making myself a cup of tea!

More seriously, we often have background noises in our recordings. After all, the world is full of sounds and noise, and we think it's important for listening in the classroom to be in as similar as possible to listening outside the classroom.

Hi Peter I can not add new comment for three days. But before I could add.

Hello senaguner,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. I'm not aware of any problems, but it looks as if you can post comments now. If this happens again, please feel free to contact us again.

Hello ,
this my first time i write a comment ,so I hope The LearnEnglish Team
correct my comment if I have mistakes.

"In most of time I like rainy weather ,becuase i live in country has a sunny wether throughout the year, and that weather make me lazy and tired opposite of rainy weather ,it make me more productivity and active. add to that , my city that I live in , hasn't any place to swim or park to smell the wat air
,althought we live close to sea"

Hi assia,

Welcome to the site :) We hope you enjoy your learning here.

Sorry, we don't correct user comments here, but we do answer questions. Feel free to write a comment and ask a question if you have one.

Jonathan

Mohammedbq122 提交于 周四, 28/01/2021 - 22:05

永久连接
It is the cloudy sunny weather that is not hot or cold you'll be able to take a tour or go with ur family to some magnificent place.
I have a preference for clear and warm weather over windy and rainy. But... can't be helped. ;)

Aroooma 提交于 周日, 24/01/2021 - 01:58

永久连接
I preffer the rainy weather.I love rain and clouds.

cittàutopica 提交于 周五, 22/01/2021 - 19:29

永久连接
I live in a country with a Mediterranean climate and I like much it.
I like the weather whose temperatures, at least, will stay mostly warm at around 21 degrees. ;)

lavande1983 提交于 周日, 17/01/2021 - 18:42

永久连接
I live in France, there are 4 different seasons but I love summer. The time of Sunset in summer is 22 or 23h so we can enjoy a long day and we don't need electric lamp in the evening. The day of summer is very bright, sunny. Although in some tropical countries, sunshine with high UV index can harm for skin but sunshine make us happier beaucause sunshine stimulate our body to produce somme happiness hormon like serotonin, endorphin. So we feel better in summer., especially in cold coutries. In winter, it's very cold, cloudy. Drizzles or showers in winter and lack of sunshine make people depressed. We like travelling in a hot coutry in our winter. It's my opinion as i live in cold country, but people live in hot coutries like india or Philipines they coud dream about snow or cold weather