New Year's resolutions

Learn how to write about your New Year's resolutions.

Reading text

Write about your New Year's resolutions for the coming year. Before you start, plan what you are going to include and think about who is going to read it.

My New Year's resolutions

by Darren

I like to start every year with my New Year's resolutions. Then I read them next 1 January and see how well I did!

Here are my resolutions this year.

1. Get fit!!

I say this every year but I hope writing it in public will make it more real. I'm aiming for three runs a week – I think I can do it! I think a fitness tracking app might help me achieve it. Or I could find a running partner. If anyone who's reading this wants to be my partner, let me know!

2. Save 10 per cent of my salary a month

Having no savings is starting to worry me and 10 per cent is realistic. It's not too much, but it's not too little that I won't see it add up. I'll put the money into a special bank account that will make it grow … Actually, I don't know much about that so maybe my next resolution should be to find out how to invest money!!

3. Cook more

I'd like to start inviting friends for dinner and cooking for them. I think once a month is a good plan. By the end of the year I want to have five dishes I can cook really well so people will say, 'Have you ever had Darren's delicious cooking?' Who wants to be my first guest?

Tips

1. Before you start a writing task, make a plan. First, write down lots of ideas you could include. Then choose the best and most interesting ones.
  2. Don't write all your ideas in one section. Make one section for each idea. Write a heading for each section to show the reader what it's about.
  3. Think about who is going to read the text and choose the style accordingly. For your classmates, use an informal and clear style.
  4. Keep your reader interested by talking directly to them, e.g. by asking a question.
  5. When you have finished your writing, read it and check it for mistakes.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周六, 06/11/2021 - 19:14

永久连接

Yes, I have many resolution in next year as 1) get English language certificate 2) aim to improve my vocabulary 3) personally improvement 4). Do hard work in study so I success in life.

GiulianaAndy 提交于 周一, 05/07/2021 - 23:33

永久连接
Yes, I do. Actually, my first New Year's resolutions were done last year. And the ones that I have for the end of this year are: 1) Get an advanced English level: I have been studying English since June of 2020, and I knew nothing about English, so I started studying English on my own by listening YouTube channels, practicing English grammar exercises, reading books in English, practicing English phonetic, etc. This year I'm in the middle of the intermediate level I could say (I took a classification exam in an English academy in my country) and I want to improve it. 2) Get a full scholarship to study abroad: I'm in my early 19s, and since August of 2020 I've been looking for a full scholarship to study abroad; it's for that reason I'm studying English every day because I need to take the IELTS exam and get a 7 score to get an scholarship abroad 3) Get a job in summer of 2022: I'm studying international business management at university and with one year of studies I can get a job, so I want to get it because I need to pay an IELTS preparation course for my scholarship 4) Get a full scholarship in my current university: As I said before, I want to get a scholarship abroad, but nowadays I'm studying in my university with a half of a full scholarship, and I want to get a full one because I want to help my parents more. Even though they are happy because they pay a cheaper price for my education; I think that's not enough. 5) Find out a way to translate my university classes, which are in Spanish, into English: Alright, I know this sounds weird, but I already found out a way to translate all the text from my university into English. Who says I cannot translate the professor's voice into English?

Ehsan 提交于 周三, 16/06/2021 - 05:43

永久连接
I often make new resolutions but they are not necessarily for the end of the year.

Ousa Siek 提交于 周三, 05/05/2021 - 03:47

永久连接
By Ousa At the end of every year, we need to committed what would we do in the next new year day! What’s our specific aim to complete? I never thought that it was my new year resolution but it’s always remind me as my daily habits instead. 1. Stay fit: As I want to stay fit and healthy I take 4days in a week to workout and eat less salty and sweet also oily food. 2. Do Meditation: Stay on focus is very essential to me so I need to spend 15min a day to treat myself silently and relax. Modify about what I have done for a day . 3. Read More: Reading will lead to a better thinking and increasing an idea. 4: Improve English Skill: As everyone known it is a worldwide pandemic so it’s better to give yourself new challenging like learning new skill and practice it .

hassainar 提交于 周五, 19/03/2021 - 07:58

永久连接
By Hassan Here are my new years resolution. 1. Learn English. Learning English has been my first priority for many years. So learning English is there in my every years resolution for many years. I really want be a fluent English speaker and a writer as well. 2. get Fit. I feel that i am getting weaker as years goes. So i want include getting fit in my this years new year resolution. As physically i am very slim i want give more important for muscle building a little. I have been trying to gain muscle for long time but i am not able succeed yet. If you have any suggestion for me please let me know.
My new year's resolution, I do not really like new year's resolutions. I prefer form a habit. However, writing down can be better than keeping in mind. Here are my resolutions this year. 1. Improve health I mean physical and mental health. I will do more exercises such as badminton, swimming and I will start to run. About mental health, I will track my period closely and observe my mind, meditate, rest, enjoy the nature and feed my mind with the "healthy food". 2. Practice English writing That is the reason I learn here. I want to improve my level from Intermediate to Advance. I want to do more but I believe less is more. In summary, I want to invest in myself as much as possible. LOVE YOURSELF!

Abrarhussain 提交于 周一, 01/03/2021 - 08:33

永久连接
Yes , but I never keep them. My next year's resolutions will be; 1- To join the gym for my fitness. 2- To save some money for the future. 3- To buy a new car. 4- To do further studies. 5- To perform the pilgrimage to Makkah.
I have never written New Year’s Resolutions, as most of the time my plans might change abruptly!!! However I hope writing it in public will make it more real))) 1. CPD Since lockdown I have met so many amazing people who influenced me to rethink my own life. Then I realized how self-development is crucial. So, I am gonna hit the book again and do my master degree! 2. Study new languages Apart from English which I am aiming to ace to C2, I will continue my second passionable language - German! 3. Learn new stuff Lately I have noticed that I hate being stuck in a rut, which brings only boredom and loneliness, so I need to socialize and learn something new. I want to start with new activities, such as yoga and cooking!

Ugulhan 提交于 周六, 03/10/2020 - 09:07

永久连接
I'd like to write my new year's resolutions after this lesson. I have learnt it how to write it. ;)

YaMaCa 提交于 周四, 01/10/2020 - 21:52

永久连接
I have never made a New year Resolution. I will write one for the classes. Being more Active during cool weather I use to stay at home for days and days, especially during winter or when the days are cool. I need to be part of one club or group that like to practice one sport or outdoor activity. Improve my English I have spoken during years the English language but no in the right way. Even during my jobs I have had some kind of disadvantages. It seem to be the moment to improve it.
At the end of every year we are required to make a summary about the past year and a new year's resolution. I would like to think about my own's next year resolution here. 1. Always keep fit As age pass by I hope to keep a proper body shape even when I was fifty or sixty years old. I am aiming to exercise at least three times a week, especially Yoga exercise to ease my pressure from work or family. 2. Try my best to find a new job I have been working at my current company for about ten years now and I have not received a salary raise for three years. I think I should go out to have some new views about myself from other company. I cannot stand counting days to waste my time from now on. Well, actually I don't well know my current level for a new position, but why do not try, I believe I could achieve myself through an equitable platform. 3. Be an elegant beauty One day of this year I suddenly realized I shouldn't be an out of fashion lady anymore as I'm already thirty years old. And I found that I knew little about makeup skill after jointing a makeup class. Hoping in the near future I could be an elegant beauty in the public through my daily practicing.

Nehir 提交于 周日, 20/09/2020 - 11:11

永久连接
No, I don't generally but I will do this year for next year. My next year resolutions are: 1. Improve your English and German I think it is the best year to improve my languages and for this reason I will start a German course. I have a English course also. 2. Bring good marks I want to better marks than this year. ( Actually this year is very well too.) So I will study a lot this year. 3. Read a lot I couldn't read a lot this year because I was preparing an important exam. But I think next year no one and no reason can stop me. 4. Have a healthy lifestyle I want to lose some weights and I will get healhty habits. For instance, I won't eat sugar except of celebrities.

kyawkyawsoezhu 提交于 周五, 04/09/2020 - 13:38

永久连接
I used to write new years resolutions but I failed to follow and when I fail to follow my resolution it makes me sad and disappointing on myself, that's why I stop writing. Instead, I write recaps of the year at the end of December, it's more fun to write and make me wanna do better in the coming year.

IKEDA 提交于 周三, 02/09/2020 - 15:55

永久连接
I have a new year's resolution every year, and they're the same: to stay in shape throughout the year.
Telling the truth, I've never made any New Year's resolutions writing them down on the paper. Of course, the New Year's eve - the best time not only to make wishes but also to make some important plans and self-promises for the next 365 days. Every year these days I also make some resolutions. Some of them are quite small and simple but some are global and more important. I definitely try to realize most of them with mixed success though)) If I didn't do something? Well, you always can add old promises to the new list.

Ayano 提交于 周二, 04/08/2020 - 13:19

永久连接
My New Year’s resolutions by Watanabe Ayano I’d like to show my New Year's resolutions. I’ll spend time with my New Year’s resolution in my mind and when it comes end of this year, I want that these could be carried out. Here are my resolutions this year. 1. Save money! I want to travel to Japan and Europe to eat delicious foods or to study sightseeing while I’m university student. However, I have to pay transportation expenses, room charge, meal bill, and so on. So, I decided to save money from now. I plan to save money 30,000 yen in a month. I’m taking wages about 50,000 in a month, so I thought that. But it is not enough, I have to think more. 2. Read a lot of books! I like to read books, and I was reading books when it was from March to May in this year. But I became not to read because I have to submit tasks since classes were started. I think reading books is better way than searching on internet. Then, I read various books and I want to acquire culture and education. Please tell me about your recommendation books! 3. Do exercises! I don’t go out now except when I go to part-time job. So, I have become poor physical strength. I don’t like such like own. Then, I decided to work out every day at home for getting stronger. And finally, I want to lose weight from now to -10kg. If you have same feels, let’s do with together!

senes19 提交于 周六, 01/08/2020 - 11:23

永久连接
Yes, of course I have next year resolutions. Also I Ave every day resolutions. I am planning everyday because our most values thing which we have is the time. The more we have different aims to arrive the more we gain success in our life. I believe that if we pay attention what we are doing this will cause a precious value for us. So, coming to my annual plans firstly I would like to learn German. In addition to to this I want to improve my English skills. My career aims are concantrate on learning of another language. My second plan is to study in a law bachelor degree. Maybe a LLM is a good idea. I am going to prepare myself to grasp easily the terms of international law. My thirst goal is to work as a volunteer in a institution that helps those in need. My fourth aim is to stay fit. For this reason I will join any schwimming club. For now it was so. But the way to achieve annual goals is to achieve daily goals.

Nanako Suzuki 提交于 周四, 30/07/2020 - 06:02

永久连接
My New Year's resolutions by Nanako Suzuki I like to start every year with my New Year's resolutions. Every year, I write them on my note and read it next 1 January. I thought my next year's resolutions, so I like to introduce them now. Here are my resolutions next year. 1. Earn money 500,000 a month!! I have a big goal. It is that I'm going to earn money 10 million by network business in the future. However, I guess I won't be able to achieve this goal in one year. So first, I'm going to make $500,000 a month during the next year. To achieve 500,000 a month, I have to gather a lot of marketing, sales and online business knowledge.I think gathering knowledge requires a lot of reading and connecting with people who have similar goals to motivate me. – I think I can do it! If anyone who's reading this have similar goals, let me know! 2. Have more time to spare I have a lot of work to do every day and I'm always pressed for time and in a hurry. I always say, "I don't have time.” I always feel like I don't have enough time because I'm not getting more done than I expected in the limited time I have in a day. If I am to exceed my expectations in a limited amount of time, I need to work efficiently. It takes sustained focus, minimizing brain fatigue, and staying motivated to do the work efficiently, so I'll try my best at that first! 3. Getting better at makeup I've never been much of a beauty or fashionista and I don't have any makeup skills at all. But lately I've started to think it's nice to be pretty with makeup. So I need to hone my makeup skills so that I can look my best with the right kind of makeup!

Miyu 提交于 周二, 21/07/2020 - 16:35

永久连接
My New Year’s Resolutions I like to start every year with my New Year’s resolutions. Today is not the day that is close to next 1 January, so I will write about my resolutions which I am taking in practice now. 1, To study English hard Last year, I was not able to practice English enough in speaking and writing. I had a chance to take TOEIC Test once last year, but I was not able to get high score I want to get. Also, I regretted not to having enough time to practice English as long as I could. However, this year, I am studying harder in speaking in English nearly every day. I am also having effort to improve four skills; Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing. In addition, I will also have effort to enhance my TOEIC score by learning online classes steady. 2, To do sports more I have started working part-time job this year. I did not like to move my body out of the house much. However, I have moved my foot in the time more than before I started to work. I have also liked that before.It will better for me to be able to work quickly and keep my body healthy. I want you to see me changing my body and my facial expression changed brightly!

grainpleaser 提交于 周二, 14/07/2020 - 13:28

永久连接
I always made the same resolution every new year as I couldn't reach one of them, tbh. My resolutions are getting driver license, getting high score on IELTS test (min 6.5 wml!), and having scholarship so I can study in UK. I wish all the resolutions I've made will be come true this year.

martin olivares 提交于 周二, 14/07/2020 - 04:22

永久连接
Im gonna make my own new year's resolution but in the middle of the year 1) Learn english!! This year i must to learn english!! i've been studying for 6 weeks until now and i hope i dont stop! i've been able watch movies in english with english subtitles! and thats meke me very happy 2) TRAVEL! All this covid situation is really stressful and i really miss travelling! my last travel was in march:( i was in Netherlands I traveled all over netherlands! and omg it was beautiful! 3) Study more ands my last but not least is the studio! i really want to end this year with very good grades to win a scholarship and move to Europe! and in this way i can study an travel!

gachatama26 提交于 周三, 01/07/2020 - 03:59

永久连接
  I think the new year is like a blank piece of white paper. Because it is not decided anything at all and what happens depends on us. So, I’m always excited when I greet the new year and I can feel “I can do anything!”. I have 3 new year’s resolutions. First, I would like to meet people around the world. Now, I don’t have many foreign friends. If I have foreign friends, I can practice English conversation and expand my world. To meet people all over the world, I will actively go to events which I can interact with foreigners. Second, I desire to help someone in the new year. I’m interested in social issues such as refugee problem, poverty problem. First thing what I can do to help someone who are suffering is to proactively do volunteer work. So, I would like to contribute someone while participating a volunteer. I think if the new year will be successful or unsuccessful is all on me. To achieve my new year’s resolutions, I would like to try anything. I believe I can grow as a big and strong person by trying to accomplish resolutions. So, I will keep on making an effort.
Hello gachatama! Deeply impressed by your admirable resolutions. Your good deeds will be rewarded! Let's make this year great one. ;)
Yes. I does. Next year would be an optimistic year.

JuanManuelLopezGil 提交于 周二, 21/04/2020 - 02:50

永久连接
Always. For example this year my resolution was come to Malta to learn English and work in something to pay my debts but, this is a bad year because the COVID-19 made many problems around the world and my school had to close. For the next year, I hope that I can finish my course for so can work and pay my debts.

popo1011 提交于 周二, 14/04/2020 - 09:34

永久连接
I make my resolutions in new year. 1. Get the IELTS certification and immigrate. 2. self-awareness. 3. loss my weight about 10 kilos.

Nikolaos Stavr… 提交于 周一, 06/04/2020 - 11:35

永久连接
Yes, I make new year's resolutions. This year my resolutions were 1. Stop smoking 2. Travel to Spain 3. Finish writing my Thesis. PS. I would like to ask you why do we say, many stars in the sky but we say many stars in space and not in the space. All the best Nikolaos

Hello Nikolaos,

I don't think there is a reason for this, to be honest. You could think about there being other skies around other planets while space is an abstract concept, but I'm not sure it is helpful or accurate. It's rather simply a case of convention through use, in my opinion.

We often use the with meteorological phenomena: the rain, the wind, the clouds etc.

Hello Nikolaos

I agree with Peter's explanation: as far as I know, this is just a convention that has evolved over time. As he suggests, one could come up with arguments for why we say 'the sky' but not 'the space', but it's probably not that useful since in the end it appears to be a question of use.

All the best

Magedelabd 提交于 周五, 27/03/2020 - 19:29

永久连接
Yes I do new year resolution . My plan for this year is 1. Get the IELTS certificate. 2.immegrate to Canada.3. get MBA. 3. Safe 70000Egyptian pounds.

jazmin marquez 提交于 周三, 25/03/2020 - 18:30

永久连接
I made New Year's resolutions last December. Well, I love riding my bike, so I would like to train on it for an hour every day. My goal is to write two scientific papers this year, and I think working on this on Saturdays could help me do it. I would like to start saving money every month, by the end of the year I hope to have enough money to travel.

shahhoseini 提交于 周四, 05/03/2020 - 09:21

永久连接
I intend to complete English learning and to work on an engineering software this year.

ANITA BHADRA (未验证) 提交于 周五, 17/01/2020 - 10:43

永久连接
I wish to make a new resolution everyday . Each day brings something new . I do not wait for a year to review my plans and make new resolutions . Every morning I make resolution for the day review the same before going to bed .
I just want to make a new year even better. Looking back this year, I experiecned some turbulance, which made me feel "enough"! Literally, I want to start the year off on the Right foot! ;)

cittàutopica 提交于 周一, 11/11/2019 - 16:17

永久连接
Every the last day of December I try to make plans for New Year, but I haven't clear ideas about it, then I restrict myself only to formulating general proposal. For next year I would like to organise better my daily tasks, so that I'm going to do all that I ought to do.

Dawn 提交于 周一, 09/09/2019 - 08:26

永久连接
I don’t usually write my New Year’s resolutions, I only thought about them. But this year I will write them, and I will hang them on the wall, so I can remind myself always to accomplish those decisions. Here are my main resolutions for this year: Find another job: I am good at my job, but I am aiming to have a better job with a better salary. Living expenses are huge, I need more money in order to offer my children better life. Buy a house: For more than six year I have spent my money on rent, it’s the time to buy a house so I can pay for the installments instead of rent. Taking care of my health: This year I should go to gym regularly, I am getting old, and to keep myself in a good shape and healthy, I must train at least three times a week.

popo1011 提交于 周三, 21/08/2019 - 07:58

永久连接
1.learning English I want to learn English very well, I practice it every day. I do speaking, writing, Listening. 2. Do exercise. I do exercise such as walking 3 times a week. I go to the gym. I would like to lose weight.
Hello, In this moment i want to quit smoking. I have been smoking for 32 years. I'm not ill, i'm OK, but i think it was enough. For a few days i didn't smoke and i feel strange. I hope to have the strength to resist temptation.
I encourage you, you will feel better and more energetic and of course will see the change in your face skin. It is a very good decision, you will make it real . Bravoooo

smell08 提交于 周四, 23/05/2019 - 13:24

永久连接
In this year, I'm planning to move company. I have been working in this company for 3 years. I have felt the job was repitive. Like this, I couldn't do self-devolpment. I'm worried about my future. So, That's why I'm considering moving another company. By experiencing another compnay or other field, They would contribute me to devolp.

Hugh_Sungho 提交于 周三, 24/04/2019 - 20:19

永久连接
I have to admit all new year's resolutions were based on lies. I believe that I could change ourself when we truly count on ourselves. Every moment is important and has the potential to change our life, not the last day of the year.

Azzarine 提交于 周三, 13/03/2019 - 09:48

永久连接
I'm not making NY resolutions, because I can't keep them ! Writing them on31th december then on 1st january, I throw the paper in the basket x)
I'm used to set my new year's resolution and some plans I accomplish during the year.
Actually, I was not used to setting the new year's resolutions before. But it's the right time to list my new year's resolution. That is because setting the goals can make me clearly know for what deficiency i should make up and with what sufficiency i could keep up. My new year's resolutions are listed as following: 1.Resignation of my recent job!! I believe that everyone in the world would have some experiences of getting tired of their jobs, which can make ourselves progress no longer or cannot provide a prosperous future. Obviously, my jobs is suffering from both of these reasons. Thus, it's time to make a change. We should get rid of the sunken costs. Quit it and start to learn for yourself. 2.Publication of my master's thesis I failed to publish my master's thesis on the research journals when i was a graduated student. Owing to the addition of application for studying abroad, I aim to revise my scripts and republish them again. Fortunately, my professor is willing to help me with this stuff. I hope these two scripts won't be rejected again. 3.Keep diet and get stronger As you know, exercises should collocate with diets to exaggerate the effects. I'm into workout and hope to have a good body figure. Perhaps, we can share our own training recipes. Do you have any suggestion of the diet arrangement? I eager to get rid of my body fat without losing my muscles.

Zizi M S Hasan 提交于 周一, 25/02/2019 - 22:10

永久连接
I will complete my academic studies.