A team meeting about diversity

Listen to a team meeting about diversity to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Nina: As you know, our team has grown a lot in the past year and we feel we need to address the diversity in the team.

Brenda: How do you mean, 'address the diversity'?

Nina: Well, we all know that diversity in teams is a good thing, but it can also be a challenge for some people to respect and value people's differences. We've got a really diverse team here – people of different nationalities, backgrounds, religions, ages … and sometimes I don't feel we make the most of this.

Stefano: Yes, and even if it isn't specifically challenging, many people are simply unaware of the isolation that some team members may feel because they are different.

Brenda: So, what does this mean? What are we going to do?

Nina: Well, we need to create a workplace charter. You know, one that promotes equality, diversity and inclusion.

Brenda: That sounds like a good idea. But will people just see it as something the management team has created? Maybe they won't even pay attention to it.

Nina: I know. That's why we're going to involve everyone in creating it.

Stefano: That's a good idea. We could run some workshops and get ideas from the employees about how we can create a more inclusive workplace.

Nina: Exactly. I was thinking that before that we could run some team-building sessions so they can experience the value of diversity for themselves.

Brenda: Yes, I like that. Many people see diversity as something negative, often because there are different opinions or ways of doing things.

Nina: Yes, I know, but if there's no diversity, then the risk is that we all work in the same way, think the same and see the world the same. This makes it hard to be creative and to innovate.

Stefano: I completely agree, Nina. OK. So, what do you want us to do?

Nina: Stefano, can you look for a successful trainer who specialises in running workshops and team-building sessions on diversity and inclusion?

Stefano: Sure. I'll be happy to.

Nina: And Brenda, can you find a fun venue? Somewhere that is quite diverse itself. Something that's not the usual seminar-style environment?

Brenda: Sure. That'll be fun.

Nina: And I'm going to do some further research into how other organisations are benefiting from their diversity. I can share this with the whole team.

vuhoap 提交于 周一, 15/11/2021 - 14:13

永久连接

In my workplace, everyone is from different countries such as Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, India and Japan. Although we are diverse in culture and customs, we all work towards the same goal, pay attention to promote our product and achieve the biggest revenue for the company.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周四, 07/10/2021 - 15:24

永久连接

Yes, diversity is challenging things there are lots of diverse people live in India. They have different ideas, different ways to doing things.

plyas 提交于 周三, 06/10/2021 - 18:10

永久连接

advocacy is also a workplace with diversity. Many specialists, many versatile tasks ...

Rolabaik 提交于 周四, 30/09/2021 - 15:53

永久连接

I am working in a more workplace diverse than any other workplace. It's a Hospital.

Ruben Murillo 提交于 周三, 01/09/2021 - 03:30

永久连接
in Mexico it has been difficult to carry out inclusion because many people don't accept the different ways of thinking and sometimes they seem rediculous.

Elías Amitai 提交于 周二, 31/08/2021 - 19:11

永久连接
My current work-team is no that diverse. However, I completely agree with Brenda, I think that when there is not diversity, there are not new ideas, new ways of working and of course there is a lack of improvement. So to summarize, In my opinion, diversity is really necessary, especially in a work team, it is useful for finding new ways of solving problems, different points of view and so on. All this, In order to do our best as a team work and in this case, for the company.
My work place is so diverse, since I live in the second largest city of my country and so many people come here to study, work or for pleasure. We have the opportunity to know several cultures, accents, as well as moods. Being open mind, you have the chance to increase your empathy as the other are doing so at the same time.

GiulianaAndy 提交于 周六, 19/06/2021 - 19:05

永久连接
Actually I don't work. I'm just a student of University. Nevertheless, my university includes people from different parts of the world and for that reason in my opinion when students (included me) have to do a group job I work with people who have different ideas, religions, believes, etc. And I already know how it is called "diversity", and sometimes it is a little difficult because we cannot be agreed. Nevertheless, at the end we always find a solution to do the homework. If you ask me about how it benefits my team I could say that diversity in my team is like a breath of fresh air.

fontan 提交于 周一, 03/05/2021 - 03:03

永久连接
If an organisation has diversity, I think the people who work for the organisation feel like how they are. It is very important for a peaceful working environment. In this way everybody will consider about themselves and their colleagues that If I have freedom to be myself, and everybody has the same thing, I should respect this system and our work space.

hninhninayekyu 提交于 周五, 23/04/2021 - 04:40

永久连接
There are many people of different positions, educational backgrounds, ages, etc in my workplace. We always conduct small meetings to get different ideas and suggestions from every staff. But sometimes it is very difficult to get a consensus because of huge diversity in their opinions.

Morrow 提交于 周一, 19/04/2021 - 09:29

永久连接
In my workplace, there are people with different backgrounds (poor, rich,..), and personalities. And in my opinion, diversity can make us more mature, knowledgeable.

jeison0894 提交于 周一, 05/04/2021 - 15:41

永久连接
In my workplace there are diverse people from many countries. We are a digital agency that works around the world providing our clients with solutions around business and development.

Frank Cuello 提交于 周五, 26/03/2021 - 02:54

永久连接
I think that diversity can help in a workplace in the creative aspect, especially when a team is looking for new approaches or ideas.
My workplace isn't diverse because I work by myself. I think that diversity creates rich team works and makes them more strong because of that.

SoNSKrill 提交于 周五, 26/02/2021 - 14:47

永久连接
In my case, my workplace is in a good instance, we have reach a feeling of inclusion and harmony, and that's the most important, respect the others, get the good things of each one and make a good job.

Cesar Silva Gajardo 提交于 周二, 23/02/2021 - 17:29

永久连接
I think that diversity in work teams is an interesting topic. I understand that a more diverse team with fluid communication creates greater trust and this will increase respect and tolerance for differences.

Santes 提交于 周日, 21/02/2021 - 11:25

永久连接
To be an innovative organization team is looking for diverse and inclusive people into the organization. To avoid like minded people organization required diverse and inclusive people in all aspects. Team of three are planning to motivate the people on diverse and inclusive aspects.

German 提交于 周四, 11/02/2021 - 01:35

永久连接
Actually my team isn't diversity because I generally work alone. But I like to find diversity teams an I think that the best way to obtain great results is conforming a great team.

Abrarhussain 提交于 周日, 07/02/2021 - 23:32

永久连接
My work place consists of different diverse people. Diversity helps our team as the range of languages benefits our diverse customers.

nancyvirginiare 提交于 周五, 05/02/2021 - 19:29

永久连接
My workplace have a lot of diversity, we have people from different countries and it is so useful to have different visions and it helps to build a big picture of the situations.

Alessandro893 提交于 周五, 05/02/2021 - 03:19

永久连接
In my opinion, diversity is good to be able to reach everyone, a global vision is beneficial for our society

Aroooma 提交于 周日, 24/01/2021 - 01:46

永久连接
In my opinion,diversty is good for the teams.It is full of benifets like make a special ideas ,more creative and see the beautiful colour s in our deffrint.

cittàutopica 提交于 周四, 21/01/2021 - 16:44

永久连接
In many workplaces of my country, especially in the local administrations of the public bodies, there's no diversity, because the majority of people originate from the same background, but the increasing participation in the EU projects is going to promote the knowledge of other contexts and the exchange of ideas and methods; all that will foster the reciprocal unterstanding.

Beytullah 提交于 周三, 20/01/2021 - 13:50

永久连接
I think diversity provides to don't stuck only one thought.On the other hand it teachs us be tolerance,helpfull and polite human.

Aleksandar Babic 提交于 周日, 17/01/2021 - 11:50

永久连接
In my opinion is diversity in garmany on the high level. But so many people can't speak english on traditional workplace. I know, what I mine is we respect differnt people and we try to talk to earlier. Some people mine in garmany is a racism a big problem, but it is not. I wish for the future that more garmany guys can speak english and that it would be promoted.

Ailicec 提交于 周五, 15/01/2021 - 18:52

永久连接
I think the diversity Is not only diferent form of think, diferent color of skin, or religión. Diversity is also people with differents qualitys and capacites. This kind of people can teach us a lot of thinks that You don’t learn in the university, Like the true love.

El Cuy Mágico 提交于 周二, 12/01/2021 - 20:31

永久连接
So nice reading all these experiences! Now I’m a student and in the university there is an interesting diversity environment. There are people from other regions. For example I have partners from the Andes, from the coast and from the jungle. In my country this mean they all have a quite different background. I feel I have improve as a person because I have been listening different ideas and i had different experiences whit these guys and i have new thoughts. Also I guess this environment has helped them as well. I mean now I feel they are more compressive and more friendlier may be cause they also have changed their way of thinking.

marlio96 提交于 周五, 08/01/2021 - 16:59

永久连接
Due to the pandemic, my workplace is my home but I think that diversity is very important in a team, this is because every different person has a different point of view and this makes rich a team and brings it successfully.

Suraj paliwal 提交于 周四, 07/01/2021 - 04:08

永久连接
In workplace,diversity is most important thing diversity is essential for growth community. When there is no diversity people have no incentive to hard work. In this community development is stop. In my place, diversity is enough. In India diversity is most features of their communities. There is a lot of languages, culture, traditions and festival. But all celebrate together with diversified experience. When there exists diversity then people have different openions. If there is equality in ideas then no work incentive. Diversity promotes invention.

Elham Barakat 提交于 周五, 01/01/2021 - 16:14

永久连接
In my workplace, we have little team diversity. Although we can't deal well with diversity in languages and traditions. You differ from me, I will sarcasm you. So it leads to many conflicts. From a positive point of view, team diversity is important for teamwork. It's created more innovation and creativity. The life we positively use team diversity, we would reach to new ideas and make the team think creatively. When we use it negatively, it leads to division, problems and conflicts. We have many different cultures, religions, thoughts. Everyone looks at life from a different point of view. This issue may be positive, that many different ideas we will share. It may be negative if everyone insists on his opinion and refuses to deal with changes or refuses to adapt with other different people and their different ways of thinking.

Shahad2O 提交于 周二, 29/12/2020 - 10:52

永久连接
In our group at the college, we have a lot of diverse in our thoughts and we have got created great ideas together.

Caspiterin89 提交于 周一, 28/12/2020 - 15:22

永久连接
I'm a teenager and I live in Italy, but I have to say -after speaking also with an expert of HR (Human Resources)- that diversity it has to be a distinct trait of a company, but also of the society and in my case of the school. In my class we are from many countries, but more important we have different opinions: and this is a good thing. Because having distinct opinions is the bread of democracy. Many people want only to be with the ones that think like them, but for improving we have to see different points of view and to hear different ideas. Only in this way we can create a better place where everyone can express theirself at best.

Saad786 提交于 周六, 26/12/2020 - 10:18

永久连接
Team diversity is very important for a work place. It brings the innovation and creativity for group in all sorts of life like education, sports, life style and values. Diversity is a natural phenomenon which is not only required in human beings but also in plants, forests and all other natural habitat of the world.

cogitare 提交于 周一, 07/12/2020 - 12:51

永久连接
The diversity allows expand perspective of a situation, and my workplace have that, but when we need to take desicions and each must give an idea, only a few of people contribute to the conversation. For that reason, i believe that its benefit, but if the people don't have motivation to share their opinions, this diversity don't will be usefull.

NADIA GEGE 提交于 周六, 28/11/2020 - 17:56

永久连接
Hello, in my workplace, an accounting firm, the are no problems about diversity but I live in a little village in Italy and sometimes persons don't accept different ideas. I think we all have to do an effort to consider the others a great resource for the society.
My last organization wasn't that diverse, equality was missing out there, the hierarchy was in every department. Nobody respected people on the ground level. I quit my job because of the toxic envirnment and I am happy about my decision

Thu Ha Nguyen 提交于 周二, 24/11/2020 - 10:49

永久连接
I´m working as a working student at a German company. In my department, I´m the only foreigner. But I always feel inclusive in the team. In other departments, We also have other employees who come from different countries with different educational backgrounds. Nobody is isolated. We paid a lot of attention to equality and diversity. Everyone respects and values everyone else.

omidabbasi 提交于 周日, 22/11/2020 - 07:49

永久连接
in my idea, diversity is a good idea. because it makes us to be challenge in many ways. i'm working in a car manufacturing company and There is diversity here in many ways such as age, skill , sex. but there is not different nationality here and i don't know if that's a good idea or not?!

farhad zada 提交于 周二, 17/11/2020 - 06:04

永久连接
Everyone is different where I'm. I'm from Azerbaijan and we have so many different nationalities, peoples who are the part of each other and Azerbaijan in our country. And that feels so good. Think there're so many langugages that are used by different peoples, so many cultural traditions, dishes and so on. That feel cool.

tmzch 提交于 周四, 12/11/2020 - 21:34

永久连接
I'm working in a place where diversity is a little bit not acceptable and it seen like a insubordination because I'm soldier and i must perform an odrers without discusion but in my opinion this is good in this specific "company" becouse where is too many chief there is a little indians (to perform an orders)

Yenn nguyen 提交于 周二, 10/11/2020 - 14:57

永久连接
In my workplace, often, my company recruitment diversity about ages, sex, cultural identity, nationality..., I think this quite interesting, bring a lot of things worth learning. For example the experience of everyone. And diversity about language skills. Create innovation in the company.

Aqilah khurshed 提交于 周日, 08/11/2020 - 06:04

永久连接
I am still a school student and i live in Saudi Arabia . Here in Saudi Arabia it's quite diverse in our school. We have students from different countries like India, Pakistan and me being a Bangladeshi.

Razy 提交于 周四, 05/11/2020 - 14:38

永久连接
I am still a university student, but I worked before in my country. There was, in fact, no diversity in my teamwork because we were working in a small-sized company and all of the staff were at the same age, nationality, and religion. But I think diversity in the workplace has a lot of benefits, although it is challenging for the team member to cope with differences. In other words, diversity makes innovation and creativity in the work and the problems can be solved with the help of different ideas originated from the source of diversity.

Mr.hanymabrok 提交于 周四, 05/11/2020 - 04:57

永久连接
very good, but i need to know the specific meaning of inclusion in this comprehension.

Hello Mr.hanymabrok,

Inclusion here means being a part of the team or group and not being isolated or marginalised. If an organisation is inclusive then it welcomes people from any background and does not exclude them, and tries to be broad-based in terms of personnel and approach.

mahmutkilic0408 提交于 周二, 03/11/2020 - 11:27

永久连接
Diversity is good if you can find common values to keep them together

gemilergeçer 提交于 周二, 03/11/2020 - 09:51

永久连接
there are many diverse people in my university this is so beneficial because they introduce to us their country's features and they are very helpful in developing our English skills.

vsanchez75 提交于 周五, 23/10/2020 - 23:31

永久连接
I was working at Nike and i here there are many people from different countries and many backgrounds in all aspects. So Nike encourages the respect each others. I like it because I like to have respect and give it in order to have a good enviroment

Ugulhan 提交于 周日, 18/10/2020 - 12:17

永久连接
I think that diversity is a good chance to substitute skills between coworkers. I am a technical writer. Since I am living abroad, I have been working in a diverse team. Someone is from Colombia, another is from Europe, and I am from Uzbekistan. I would say it is really respectful to your nationality, race, and color. The conversation language is preferred speaking in English by everyone, of course. Diversity can be brought a lot of benefits for a company, as I mentioned one is skills exchange, another is profitable for selling out products from the company. There is a wide range of productivity.

nialataria 提交于 周六, 10/10/2020 - 16:11

永久连接
My workplace is pretty diverse. I think it is beneficial for team and society.