Meeting an old friend

Listen to the conversation between two old friends to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Selina: Patrick? Is that you?

Patrick: Selina! Hello!

Selina: Well, well. Patrick Eastwood. How have you been?

Patrick: Good. Great, actually. How are you? I haven't seen you for ... how long?

Selina: It's been ages. At least fifteen years. Wow.

Patrick: Yeah. Wow.

Patrick and Selina: So, what are you doing here?

Selina: Sorry, you go first.

Patrick: OK. What are you doing here? I thought you'd moved to London.

Selina: I was in London for a couple of years. But it didn't work out.

Patrick: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you ... OK?

Selina: I'm fine! The dream job wasn't really a dream, you know? Um ... and London is great but it's so expensive. I mean, just the rent on a flat is ... uh … crazy expensive.

Patrick: I see.

Selina: So, I came back. I've been back now for almost five months. Living back home with Mum and Dad. Which is err ... interesting. Um ... but anyway, what about you?

Patrick: Me? Oh, nothing new. You know me – 'Patrick the predictable'. I never left here.

Selina: Oh. And is that ...?

Patrick: Oh, I'm very happy. I'm married now. We've just celebrated our tenth anniversary.

Selina: No way! You? Married? To …?

Patrick: I don't think you know her. Her name's Marigold. And we've got two kids. They're five and eight years old.

Selina: Married and with two kids? Wow!

Patrick: Don't look so surprised!

Selina: No, no … I'm just amazed how time flies! I'm happy for you. I really am.

Patrick: Thanks. You should really come round to the house one day.

Selina: That would be great. Let's swap numbers and ...

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

syahirah suhaimi 提交于 周四, 19/09/2019 - 08:26

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend . The level that I chose is Intermediate B1 Listening.

Aiman Naim 提交于 周四, 19/09/2019 - 07:41

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an old friend. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

marcalyn 提交于 周四, 19/09/2019 - 07:39

永久连接
I have completed the following lesson of Meeting an Old Friend. The level that i chose was Intermediate B1 learning.

Ikmal Haaziq 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 13:49

hazeeqishida 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 11:06

Ikmal Haaziq 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 10:01

muhammad zainu… 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 09:29

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, meeting an old friend, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening."

KhaleefRosely 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 09:15

永久连接
" I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an old friend . The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Haris 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:53

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A meeting an old friend.The level that i choose was intermadiate B1 listening.

Awang Idham 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:51

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A Meeting an Old Friend.The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening

aina fatin amierah 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:49

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening."

afieqahhh 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:47

永久连接
This conversation remind me with my old friend that never met for a long time. Then, when we met I'm very surprised that he already married and have a daughter. Anyway, this conversation is my favourite lesson from another lesson that I listened.

Aisyah Hassan 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:44

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of a Meeting an old friend. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

nurain khalisah 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:38

永久连接
i have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion,A weather Forecast,and Meeting an old friend.The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

fatin sahira 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:37

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an old friend, A phone call from a customer, and Arriving late to class. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Izzah Insyirah 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:36

永久连接
I have completed the following lesson A meeting an old friend. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Siti Aida 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:34

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A phone call from a customer, Arriving late to class, Meeting an old friend. The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Zun Addwa bint… 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:21

fatin afiqah 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:19

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of Meeting an Old Friend , Arriving Late to Class and Chatting About a Series. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Widad Damia' 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:15

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, Meeting an old friend , and Making a Decission. The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Izzah Athirah 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 08:13

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, Meeting an old friend and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening

hafizatul 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 07:57

永久连接
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion,A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Magedelabd 提交于 周日, 15/09/2019 - 18:03

永久连接
Unfortunately I forgot all my old friends because I have no time any more . I am working working working .........................
Profile picture for user kamicounciler

kamicounciler 提交于 周三, 11/09/2019 - 22:50

永久连接
yes i do.to some extent . actually we meet few times.once or twice in a year.those are my friends from high school.when we meet there is a kind of connection between us , that s like something that shaped an important part of our life and character.

popo1011 提交于 周三, 04/09/2019 - 09:06

永久连接
I keep in touch with my high school friends. we are 22 years old friends. we visit each other 2 months in between and we have a group in the Telegram, WhatsApp. we have a good relationship with these apps.

pam89 提交于 周二, 13/08/2019 - 18:00

永久连接
yes I'm keeping in touch with my old friend...it's not the same have a long distance friendship, and even if we don't hear each other often, we love each other and when we meet is like if time had not passed

starfish2019 提交于 周二, 13/08/2019 - 14:15

永久连接
Do you keep in touch with old friends? Yes, I'm keeping in touch with my 5 old friends most of the time, although we went to different countries for our studies and work. We normally keep in touch via Facebook, and whenever we come back to Burma then we made the appointments to meet each other by choosing the fun locations for our chit chat.

Paco78 提交于 周四, 08/08/2019 - 15:52

永久连接
I have two question about the listening: Taks 1, question 2 Selina still lives in London. She still lives in London because her parents live in London. Thus question is True. Taks 1, question 3 Selina didn't like her job in London This sentences about job? I was in London for a couple of years. But it didn't work out. Thanks in advance

Hello Paco

The transcript doesn't say that Selina's parents live in London, but she does say that things 'didn't work out' in London, which means she left London. Now she lives in the town where she's met Patrick. Therefore 2 is false.

As for 3, she says 'The dream job wasn't really a dream'. This means she did not like her job.

All the best

naser.z 提交于 周日, 04/08/2019 - 05:15

永久连接
Yeah, I'm seeing my old friend. They are my classmate at school and we know each other for 16 years.

Soe Kyi 提交于 周二, 30/07/2019 - 04:39

永久连接
No, I haven't kept in touch with my old friends, because we are staying in different city that are so far.

Assel 提交于 周六, 20/07/2019 - 04:14

永久连接
I keep in touch with my 2 friends since we were 6 years old child. Because we are the best friends. I also communicate with my university mates. They are closer than my classmates. Actually I graduated university 3 years ago. It is not such a long time. It can be the main cause of keeping in touch still. I wish I will converse with them for the rest of my life.
Profile picture for user liliaveras

liliaveras 提交于 周二, 16/07/2019 - 12:10

永久连接
Yes but only by msg from WhatsApp. Unfortunatelly.

Claudette Ndenzako 提交于 周六, 13/07/2019 - 09:48

永久连接
Unfortunately living down under New Zealand doesn't make keeping in touch with old friends easy. Thanks to social media we are able to know what old friends have been up to or have become and viewing their photos. I recently had a visit of a friend I haven't seen since we were 5 years old. We are now both married and have kids. Our children got on really well. We spent a whole week talking about the good old days at Primary school and our friends in the area where we grew up.

BenSacchi 提交于 周四, 06/06/2019 - 07:19

永久连接
every task that I open have give me this "gamedata.britishcouncil.org refused to connect." is this something wrong? or its just me? thanks
Hello BenSacchi There seems to be a technical problem with some of our tasks, and I thank you for reporting it to us. I've just reported it to our technical team. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! We will fix this as soon as possible. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Nora Su 提交于 周三, 15/05/2019 - 10:03

永久连接
yes, we are ever keep in touch once a year.

christinephyu 提交于 周日, 12/05/2019 - 17:41

永久连接
not really, I have rarely meet with them
Profile picture for user Vijay Singh

Vijay Singh 提交于 周二, 23/04/2019 - 00:30

永久连接
Yes, I am. The old is gold, with old friends you can enjoy to remember the childish and interesting things you did in past. I want to share my experience of a get together on last to last monday with my college roommate and off-course very close friend (SID). I visited on his flat and we enjoyed the memories of college time that how we passed our college time. We both felt sad to share that now we have money but no time to enjoy with friends. I shared my love life with Sid and made him realize how complicate is inter-religion marriage in INDIA. On the roof of house we sit on a folding bed and enjoyed our beer, We enjoyed our beer and conversation about personal and professional life approx. 2 hours.

WimyCarvalho10 提交于 周五, 19/04/2019 - 20:45

It's a good lesson.
Profile picture for user Eri Hariyandi

Eri Hariyandi 提交于 周五, 19/04/2019 - 01:59

永久连接
for the first time i can answer all the questions correctly.. very nice..

nadezhda_radkova 提交于 周一, 15/04/2019 - 13:04

永久连接
Yes, but only few of them unfortunately.

churchill 提交于 周六, 13/04/2019 - 21:17

永久连接
I liked this podcast, very useful.

Akmal 提交于 周六, 13/04/2019 - 16:33

永久连接
Hi everybody I havent seen my classmates a long time But i keep in touch with 2 my best friends by phone and whatsapp

kumarg 提交于 周四, 11/04/2019 - 06:57

永久连接
i'm sorry, I lost contact with my old friend.
Profile picture for user Juozaityte

Juozaityte 提交于 周三, 10/04/2019 - 18:21

永久连接
I didn't check online dictionary or searched the site to find the answer.

saloua1983 提交于 周二, 09/04/2019 - 14:57

永久连接
unfortunatly , i lost contact with my friend since i get married .i was busy with my new life but after many years , i felt this strong need of renew contact with my old friends
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Caterina Siligardi 提交于 周一, 08/04/2019 - 14:21

永久连接
Yes,I do; especially with one of my primary school friend.