Episode 01

Philip is the CEO of WebWare, an IT company. He needs to hire a new sales director as soon as possible.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Philip: You what? What do you mean? You've lost the DollarMart contract? Oh, Brian, tell me you're joking! That's our biggest contract and you've lost it! OK ... OK ... yes, I know you've had some personal problems recently. Yes, sure ... yes, I know our competitors have improved their offer, but really, Brian, these are just excuses. Oh, Brian, come on – you failed to meet agreed targets for the entire last quarter. We talked about this in your last performance review and I told you then it had to improve, and to be quite honest – it hasn't. Losing the DollarMart contract is the last straw. No, I'm sorry, Brian, that's it. That's your last chance. I'm going to have to let you go. Let you go. Yes, that's what it means, Brian. You're fired.

Hi, Jess. Can you put me through to Marcia in HR, please? Thank you.

Hi, Marcia. It's Philip here. Listen, I've had to let Brian go. He lost us the DollarMart account. Yeah, but it had been going on for a while, and he just wasn't pulling his weight any more. He'd been warned. His last performance review was really bad. He knew it was coming. So, we'll be looking for someone new and we'll need to decide on who that is.

Who are we looking for? Good question. I was hoping you might be able to help me with that! Here's what I'm thinking and let me know if you agree. Well, obviously, they'll need to have a first degree. Doesn't matter what subject. And then a master's or an MBA, I'd say.

Experience? At least five years' relevant experience in an international company. I want somebody with a proven track record. Oh, they have to be a team player – Brian never was – so strong interpersonal skills. Oh, and I want someone with vision ... yes, 'vision'! Well, I know it’s difficult to define. What I mean is, someone who knows we're in a rapidly changing market, and they can use it to our advantage.

Experience with online sales, perhaps but ... yes, I'd be interested in that. Oh, language skills. I can't emphasise that enough. Not necessarily a native speaker, but they must be very good at English. And another language as well – Spanish, or Mandarin is best.

Does that sound OK to you? Great. OK, can you get an ad out on the website as soon as possible? Oh, and the trade press as well. OK, great. Thanks, Marcia. I want a new sales director by the end of the month. Bye!

Hello Khaled v,

Are you able to see the video now? I haven't been able to find any problems with it. If you still can't see it, please let us know what browser and browser version you are using.

Liuning012 提交于 周五, 24/11/2017 - 06:45

永久连接
Hi there, I couldn't watch the videos online and I don't know why, can you help solve it? This is from China, thanks!

Hello Liuning012,

Please try our Chinese-language site, which is optimized for users in China. If that doesn't work, you might be able to find these videos in our Youtube channel.

Please let us know if you need any other help.

Enen 提交于 周日, 19/11/2017 - 11:24

永久连接
Hello! This site is really helpful. It can improve your English communication. I think it starts from basic to complex grammar lessons. I am looking forward to learning more from your site. Thank you Learn English!

Hello Enen,

Thank you for your comment! It's great to know that we're helping people and making a difference for them.

Best wishes,

Frederic855 提交于 周四, 09/11/2017 - 11:04

永久连接
Is it possible to download this video?

Hello Frederic855,

I'm afraid the videos on LearnEnglish are not available for download for legal and technical reasons. On our audio-only pages we make the audio available as an mp3 file, but the videos are not accessible offline.

Best wishes,

bkskarthik 提交于 周一, 30/10/2017 - 13:35

永久连接
I have took more then three times to listening and only three question answer is correct. It's very useful to learning English. Please keep more video and tasks.

khammal92 提交于 周四, 26/10/2017 - 16:57

永久连接
hi. sorry but i didn't undrstand the last 3 expressions. what are for?

Hello khammal92,

I assume you mean these expressions:

give someone the axe
give someone their cards
give someone the boot

As the page says, these are 'less formal, but more colourful ways of saying the same thing' - i.e. a person being dismissed from their job.

Best wishes,

bannino 提交于 周二, 24/10/2017 - 09:06

永久连接
I thought that The expression: "that’s your last chance", meant that you have another occasion.... instead in the video, means that you don' t have it. What Am I doing wrong?

Hello bannino,

You're right: normally 'That's your last chance' means that you have one more opportunity, but no more. Here I think Philip meant to say 'That was your last chance', which means that the more recent failure was the last chance.

I'm afraid that I'm unable to change the video to correct this, but please rest assured that your understanding is correct. Sorry for the confusion!

xiaozhuang 提交于 周二, 19/09/2017 - 03:41

永久连接
hello krik I cant watch video on broswe(China).plz help me .Thanks.

friv 提交于 周五, 08/09/2017 - 08:08

永久连接
Nice Article, It is very useful for my project thanks.

YoYo Nguyen 提交于 周六, 05/08/2017 - 05:36

永久连接
Hello. All videos about business and work are very useful. it's a good if the Learn English team could update other new lessons. I'm waiting for website's update . Thanks in advance.

Ina Piashko 提交于 周二, 25/07/2017 - 15:47

永久连接
Good afternoon! All video isn't playing on your site. I tried to watch from different browsers (Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Firefox) and devices. The video was available a few days ago a couple of hours, and than desappeared again. What's going on? Help me, please.

Ina Piashko 提交于 周二, 25/07/2017 - 07:55

Hello Ina,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! I've just checked the video and it is working now. A s far as I know there have been no other reports of problems with the videos, so perhaps there was a temporary error.

If it happens again, please let us know what browser and browser version you're using when it happens and we'll look into it.

Ina Piashko 提交于 周三, 19/07/2017 - 07:20

永久连接
Hello. All the videos of the website don't appear. Help me, please.

Hello Ina Piashko,

I've just checked a couple of videos and can see them now. Perhaps there was a temporary technical problem, but I'd also recommend you try watching the videos using different web browsers (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, etc.). Sometimes one will work better than another.

If you still can't see the videos after trying that, please tell us what browser and browser version you are using. We'll try our best to help you.

Great video..This help a lot..

Marwa.Mohamed 提交于 周一, 17/07/2017 - 15:15

永久连接
Hello All the videos of the website don't appear My browser was updated yesterday. I have used the website for a long time This is the first time I face such a problem Please help me Thanks in advance

Peter M. 提交于 周二, 18/07/2017 - 07:04

Marwa.Mohamed 回复

Hello Marwa1083,

If you were able to access the videos previously and cannot after an update then it is almost certainly the cause. Check your security settings first of all. You may have settings which disable certain content but it is usually possible to whitelist certain sites so that their media is allowed to show. Another alternative is to try accessing the site via a different browser. There are many browsers available, such as Google Chrome (Mac and Windows), Internet Explorer (Windows), Safari (Mac). Try one that you are not using to see if that helps.

Best wishes,

Soemyatthandar 提交于 周六, 15/07/2017 - 05:06

永久连接
How can i download this Episode ?

Hello Soemyatthandar,

All of our audio content (e.g. Elementary Podcasts) is available for free download, but I'm afraid our videos are not for copyright reasons. Sorry!

sajjadashraf700 提交于 周五, 30/06/2017 - 10:44

永久连接
video is being played interruptedly

Hello sajjadashraf700,

Are you still having this problem? I've checked the video and cannot see any problems. I think it must have been a temporary error, though if you're still seeing it, please let us know. If you are still having the problem, could you please check to see if you have the same problem when viewing other videos, either on our site or on a site like YouTube

simon su 提交于 周四, 29/06/2017 - 08:58

永久连接
I use google chrome and can't watch the video too, it's a latest version. please help me.

Hello simon su,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble seeing the video. I've tried viewing it using Chrome (Version 58.0.3029.110) on my Mac and have had no trouble seeing the video.

Have you tried viewing it on our Chinese site? It might work better there, as that site is optimised for users in China. If you still can't see it after trying that, please let us know what version of Chrome and what operating system you're using so our technical team can look into a bit more. In the meantime, you might also want to try using a different browser to see if that helps.

phillip the cat 提交于 周三, 24/05/2017 - 15:38

永久连接
Hi there, new with the platform, i have a small issue with the video watching. i´ve punched many icons but i can´t get to watch them. would you be so kind and help me. thanks alot.

Hello phillip the cat,

Have you tried updating your browser? Or trying a different web browser? That should solve the problem, but if not, please let us know what browser you're using, what version it is, and what operating system your device has.

Best wishes,

valencang 提交于 周一, 24/04/2017 - 03:34

very helpful, thank you

suwarna 提交于 周一, 20/02/2017 - 17:08

永久连接
I got some new vocabularies. Great.

ahmed mohamed salem 提交于 周一, 02/01/2017 - 17:54

永久连接
in task- Which skills and experience are NOT essential for the new employee? how the answer is sales

Hello ahmed mohamed salem,

All three skills are positive, but they are described in different ways. For languages, Philip says 'they must be very good at English, and another language as well, Spanish, or Mandarin is best'. As far as teamwork goes, he says 'they have to be a team player'. These verbs - must and have to - show that these skills are essential. However, with regard to sales he says only 'Experience with online sales, perhaps – but yes, I’d be interested in that'. In other words, experience with sales is good, but not essential.

Best wishes,