An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

jonthancata 提交于 周二, 19/05/2020 - 17:33

永久连接
It is easy to get easy in my town. The street names are not really visible and most people don't use them. I have sent directions to my friends on how to get to my house, but instead of using the street names, I use landmarks as references instead.
Profile picture for user Codjoah

Codjoah 提交于 周一, 18/05/2020 - 12:38

永久连接
Hi Yes! it's very easy to get lost in my town. And I often have gave directions to visitors. Give directions to visitors in my town is not easy at all. Every streets and avenues don't have number and name. So, without street numbers and names on some avenues and streets, visitors used to miss theirs ways.

Zhendong Wang 提交于 周一, 18/05/2020 - 09:05

永久连接
Hi, everyone. Actually, it's a little hard to find the direction for me, but i have phone, which have google map to help me find a right way.

BOU Hamid 提交于 周日, 17/05/2020 - 23:38

永久连接
It is easy to give directions to a visitor for me.

mouna99 提交于 周日, 17/05/2020 - 16:26

永久连接
yes it's easy to get lost in my country

Hninn Thazin Win 提交于 周六, 16/05/2020 - 10:22

永久连接
I have ever given directions to a tourist.It is so difficult for me
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Sergei Baskakov 提交于 周四, 14/05/2020 - 13:12

永久连接
I usually give a link to google maps where I specify a point on the map
Profile picture for user Akbarhuja

Akbarhuja 提交于 周四, 14/05/2020 - 04:32

永久连接
It is a bit difficult for me.

Milena Nikolova 提交于 周二, 12/05/2020 - 06:11

永久连接
I like parties and always i have a fun there. I would like go to party more often.

ademyonet 提交于 周日, 10/05/2020 - 15:09

永久连接
I never lost my town. My town is very big but I know its everywhere. It is not possible my lost.

Lauracastanos 提交于 周六, 09/05/2020 - 22:18

永久连接
The direction to get to my house is sometimes difficult because google maps is wrong for one block and people think that you have to go straight when you have to turn right and then left

Fatemeh.Najafzadeh 提交于 周六, 09/05/2020 - 02:31

永久连接
It’s a little hard but finding the direction is not impossible. Currently, I was giving the instruction to a tourist but he didn’t get it, so I explained the direction on the my mobile’s map.

Cihanakbaba 提交于 周五, 08/05/2020 - 05:42

永久连接
Hello Everybody, If you want to find my home, you have to drive straight on the Farmer Road. Pass the 3th exit and turn left to the Elinghton Rd. You’ll see on the right a small pink colour house. See u there :)

shami88 提交于 周一, 04/05/2020 - 13:43

永久连接
Good nice to learn a new words like ( closest .......) thanks

Nadir 提交于 周五, 24/04/2020 - 02:12

永久连接
hi guys . i live in a small town in algeria where there is easy to find your destination . in other places in algeria for exeple our capital town it s easy to get lost there ,but actually with the power of infotmatics there is a lot of application wich help us to find our destination anywhere .

Marc Aguililla 提交于 周三, 22/04/2020 - 20:33

永久连接
I think that is a good listening because it's easy to understand. In my opinion, having a birthday party with friends is always good and a very good way to enjoy such a special day!

Marc Aniceto 提交于 周三, 22/04/2020 - 15:48

永久连接
In this activity I've learned a lot the form to how to invite someone to a party and how to tell to someone about the directions. Also, listening the pronunciation, I learned how to say some words that after I didn't know how to pronunciate. In conclusion, this activity is really good like all the others.
It is easy to get lost my town because there are many houses and the roads are complicated in my town.So,I often teach the way to teachers who come to my town.

carol alves 提交于 周三, 15/04/2020 - 21:16

永久连接
Well, I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, it's a big city. A public transport it's not so good, then i'ts very easy to lost here. The turist always needs to our help.

marwa111 提交于 周一, 13/04/2020 - 20:26

永久连接
Hi everyone, I live in France in toulouse. It's a big city, but it's very simple to get around Toulouse. It's not easy to get lost here thanks to public transport. I have ever given directions to friends and they had no problems.

Miri am 提交于 周日, 12/04/2020 - 17:48

永久连接
In our time with using Waze (navigation apps) it's not problem to find something in big city but if I haven't internet line it be very hard for me to take a right direction.

Aye Chan 提交于 周日, 12/04/2020 - 06:52

永久连接
It is easy to get lost in my city, Mandalay. Mandalay is one of the largest cities in my country,Myanmar. It is also a cultural heritage city. There are also many small streets. I have also given direction to visitors.

Mi.m.ferreira 提交于 周三, 08/04/2020 - 23:33

永久连接
Yes, I live in SP which is a big city. I have already helped an American to get to Masp and a Japanese to get to Ibirapuera Park. I found it difficult to explain the instructions.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

OlaIELTS 提交于 周五, 03/04/2020 - 14:56

永久连接
Hi, Yes, it is. Yes, I had. Thanks.
It's easy to get lost in my city. There are many streets. On the streets there are signs treated not always messages where they are going. Maybe my city is not too big but there are many streets that are very long and you can easily make mistakes.

Grazia 提交于 周二, 24/03/2020 - 14:50

永久连接
It's not so easy to get lost where I live, it's a small Town and not so touristic. It's a real pity, there is a beautiful big Castle downtown and two amazing squares with bars restaurants, shops, surranded by a joyful atmosphere. I gave instructions to some visitors, but It Washington very simple..... they were Italian :-)

Eswar 提交于 周二, 17/03/2020 - 17:22

永久连接
Yeah it is easy to get lost My town,Although There is a plenty of Sign boards shows the how to get the correct address. I gave the directions to So many people While they lost the Right way .through that i improved my communication Skills. It's great experience For Me.

Wan Wan 提交于 周日, 15/03/2020 - 07:56

永久连接
My hometown is a small village in Lam Dong. It's don't have lots of streets so I never got lost before. One time when I was in Saigon there was a foreigner who asked me the way to go to the Notre Dame Cathedral but as I just a visitor like him too so I can't tell him where is it.

Quinzia 提交于 周四, 12/03/2020 - 14:53

永久连接
Hi everyone, I'm italian and i live in Bologna but it isn't my hometown. I'm here for University. Anyway, my hometown is a little city in the centre of italy. Vary cute! it's possibile arrive with airplane in a near city, and later takes a train. the train trip lasts 40 minuts. The city is divides in 2 part, one of this is the old town is located on a hill... the view is amazing becuase overlook the bay. the second part it located near the sea and it's a tourist destination i don't like it because it's lived only in summer. Mainly there are italian tourists, but sometime there is tourists from England or Germany. It's a quite city, nice for relaxing and for a walk near the sea.
I so love Italy. I hope very soon all the epidemic will end soon and Italian will be happy again.

jason2295 提交于 周日, 08/03/2020 - 20:07

永久连接
The city where I live is very small one, so I think it is very easy to give a direction. Till now I've never gievn a direction to visitors, I hope I do it a day.

Giahaitruong 提交于 周一, 02/03/2020 - 16:33

永久连接
I'm living in Hanoi, it's a big city in Viet Nam. Of course it is very easy to get lost in here, we have old quarter erea with small street and many ancient houses. I think it's complicated for tourist to travel in Hanoi. I have given directions for a visitor when I was a child. A men asked me the way go to Hoan Kiem lake and I helped him with his map.
Profile picture for user Sirvan7

Sirvan7 提交于 周四, 27/02/2020 - 09:02

永久连接
Hi everyone I'm sirvan,I live in the east of iran ,My city is not very big but I remmember that many years a go my father's super market was near to the store which sale some herbal things like for example spice,herbal tea and so on... and i met a lot of visitor which they asked me this plase address.

Talha Munir 提交于 周二, 25/02/2020 - 19:29

永久连接
Yas, when I was child I go to Bazar with my grandfather, but on that day it's very crowded, he told me that you can stand here I will came here in few minutes but, I would stand there, I go for to Searcy him and I lost him in crowd, so I can't see him then because there is alot of rush then a police take me and then find my grandfather father.. thanks to Police man who helped me.

Vladlen 提交于 周六, 15/02/2020 - 01:40

永久连接
Hello. My name is Vladislav. I'm from Russia. In my hometown it is very difficult to get lost, because it is very small. And there are two main streets and that’s it. Yes, I gave directions to the visitor. It was in another city. One foreigner approached me and I showed him the way, I don’t remember what he asked
Profile picture for user ILYES

ILYES 提交于 周一, 03/02/2020 - 23:20

永久连接
Hi everyone . I live in BATNA , Its number 05 of 48 states in ALGERIA , I never get lost in BATNA's streets , because i born and living there , and its a litttle big city I work in my coffe shop in the center shoping , I do meeting a lot of visitor who theiy comes from the villages and from every where , And theiy do asking for their own destinations , soo i help them

MaryaSun 提交于 周四, 23/01/2020 - 14:17

永久连接
hello, i am italian and i live in the southes of Italy. My city is not very big, like as Milan or Rome or Florence so, i think, it is difficult to lose myself there. my city is organized in a modular way. I live near the airport and i always take the bus to go in the city centre on the airport bus park. Sometimes i meet turists on the bus , not only italian tourist but also english or french or spanish ones. I always ask them if they want i help them with the directions where they are going to. I love help them expecially when the visitors are foreign, i can improve my english and challenge myself.

john098 提交于 周三, 15/01/2020 - 17:33

永久连接
I think it's easy to get lost in my village, although on the way to get there that a lot of boards that show informations about the regions and streets. But plenty of my friends have lost when they tried to find out the right way. So finally, i was compelled to direct them ...!!! It's a especially experience for me

shahhoseini 提交于 周一, 13/01/2020 - 13:49

永久连接
I live in a large city. However, there are lots of boards that show regions and streets. I have already given address to visitors but nowadays some applications such as Waze and Google Maps help to find a direction to destinations.

Dariusz 提交于 周二, 07/01/2020 - 01:49

永久连接
It's not hard to get lost everywhere where you are the first time. Doesn't matter how big town it is. My town is quite big, has three hundred thousand of population. There are many streets and buildings, so be lost is possibly indeed and I sometimes give any direction to a visitor.

Fredandy 提交于 周四, 02/01/2020 - 16:04

永久连接
My Town is difficult to find because the number of road exist just in the plan. But if you come with an ivorian, it will be easy. My town is near the biggest University of the country. If you arrived at the University, call me and I will come to take you.
Profile picture for user Mohamad-Altaha

Mohamad-Altaha 提交于 周日, 22/12/2019 - 19:08

永久连接
My town is tiny and simple, so there is no chance to get lost there. Have I ever given directions to a visitor? yes, I have but wrong directions ;)

le van son 提交于 周四, 14/11/2019 - 15:42

永久连接
yes. it's very easy. I can go to my town using a motorbike go straight to the street and turn left when you see the coffee on the left.

f.agadr 提交于 周一, 04/11/2019 - 11:54

永久连接
f.agadr The speaker has a lovely voice. I have completed the following lessons of an invitation to a party. The level that I choose was pre intermediate A2
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Rafaela1 提交于 周三, 23/10/2019 - 19:00

永久连接
Whenever I come across curved roads in town, suddently I lose my sense of direction...
Profile picture for user Asliayan