Mindfulness

‘Mindfulness’ is a word we hear a lot these days, but what exactly does it mean? Find out what it is, what the benefits of mindfulness are and how you can start to practise it.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the article and do the exercises.

Have you ever driven somewhere and realised when you arrived that you couldn’t really remember anything about the journey? Or have you ever eaten a whole packet of biscuits when you were planning to only have one? Or have you stayed up much later than you planned, or even all night, watching ‘just one more’ episode of a TV series? All of these are examples of mindlessness. When we live this way, we are not fully awake and not fully living our lives.

What exactly is mindfulness?

When we are mindful, we are more conscious of our thoughts, our actions and what is happening around us. We might notice a beautiful sunset or really listen carefully to what a friend is saying, rather than planning what we’re going to say next. We are also more aware of our own feelings and our thoughts. Jon Kabat Zinn, who has done a lot to make mindfulness popular, says mindfulness is: ‘Paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, and without judging.’

So we are consciously deciding what to pay attention to, we are not worrying about the past or planning for the future and we are not trying to control or stop our thoughts or feelings – we’re just noticing them.

Why is mindfulness so popular now?

For most people life is getting busier and busier. Technology means that we always have something to do and there isn’t much opportunity to just ‘be’. People are often doing two or three things at the same time: texting while watching TV, or even looking at their phone while walking along the pavement. People are working longer hours and bringing work home. All this can make us stressed, and mindfulness can be a way of reducing this stress.

What are the benefits of mindfulness?

Research shows that mindfulness reduces stress and depression. It can help you to concentrate, have a better memory and to think more clearly. It can also help people to manage pain better and to improve their sleep, and it can even help you lose weight because you won’t eat that whole packet of biscuits without thinking!

How to become more mindful

Mindfulness Day is celebrated on 12 September, so maybe that would be a good day to try a few mindfulness techniques and see if they make a difference. But, of course, you can try these on any day of the year.

A very simple technique that you could try right now is to close your eyes for a couple of minutes and count how many sounds you can hear. This will help to focus you on what is happening right now.

Another technique is to focus on a piece of food, typically a raisin. Instead of eating it without thinking, slow down. Look carefully at it and notice how it feels in your fingers. Smell it. Then put it on your tongue and taste it. Only then start to eat it slowly, noticing how it feels and how it tastes.

Both of these techniques force you to slow down and focus on the present moment, and there are plenty of other ideas you can find online if you want to try mindfulness for yourself.

Esma 提交于 周四, 30/09/2021 - 19:29

永久连接

I have anxiety problem, so i tried to be calm and stop thinking about the past and futur, one of the best techniques i tried is meditation, it's really make me mindful

PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN 提交于 周三, 04/08/2021 - 05:43

永久连接
Yeah, just now I try the mindfulness technique. I'm closing my eyes and hear sounds around me. It can help me to be the focus on my surroundings.
I have never tried mindfulness technique and I've never heard about it before. But I try to use on of them to be more calmer. Work can be so fast-paced that you are tempted to do things without really thinking about them, automatically. More or must be aware of mindlessly threat and do something about it.

Dieudonné 提交于 周三, 17/03/2021 - 07:09

永久连接
I am happy to find out this word because sometimes, I practice some mindful techniques in order to stay focus when attending scientific conferences or when reading a book. And let me confirm that theses techniques are powerful and helpful. So as to practice mindfulness, my lovely technique is trying to focus on the plaisir the lecturer have to talk about his work, it is easy to detect theses feelings by following carefully the tune of his voice and the happiness in his face; this really help you to gather a lot of knowledge about his work.
Mindfulness maybe the right answer to the big problem these days: anxiety. All of us, are always in a rush, technology and especially mobile phones don't help us to concentrate. Everything I do, I find that my mind is everywhere - lost in the future, or remembering the past. I think this creates anxiety, however practising mindfulness I think that in each moment consciously we can take a break and a deep breath. Then we should notice our anxiety levels going down.

Thinthinmyoe 提交于 周一, 25/01/2021 - 10:20

永久连接
I always meditate about ten minutes per day to be mindful.
No, I have never try any mindfulness technique, but it's true, I'm reading or listening something and while I'm thinking in what is going to happen next, what is the next assignment or activity and not enjoy or take the time to live what I'm doing at the moment, so it's a good advice be step by step and take some time to relaxing.

cittàutopica 提交于 周五, 04/12/2020 - 11:47

永久连接
I think mindfulness is a "laical" variation of the meditation, which is an experience of many religions. For this very reason it's no matter of adopting some techniques only, but it aims to pursue a way of life very different from one that we usually follow.

cenzino.scaringi 提交于 周一, 05/10/2020 - 23:27

永久连接
Very interesting and useful. Thank you very much indeed.

Hajar Lazrak 提交于 周日, 04/10/2020 - 12:37

永久连接
i think i'm a mindful person cause i pay attention for what happening around me, i can listen carfully to someone speaking, and i can do what i planning for. but sometimes i feel like i'm tired i can't move on due to a lot of stress and depression, so yes you are right i need to watch myself again and practice this techniques to be better than before so thank you guys so much, i really i appreciate that.

Soe Pyae 提交于 周日, 13/09/2020 - 16:10

永久连接
Yes, I really need to do this thing. Everyday , I have my meals very fast because there are so many things to do in my mind after my meals. And I didn't want to give much time for eating before. Now I realized it is not good for your mind and also health. We should know and practice mindfulness. Thanks for reminding us.

popo1011 提交于 周六, 18/07/2020 - 09:27

永久连接
I used to practice mindfulness and I was somewhat successful. But unfortunately, now I can rarely do it. This is the best way to increase your energy.
Yes. I had. It really work out great for me.

Rely 提交于 周三, 27/05/2020 - 21:52

永久连接
In the past I have tried to practice the mindfulness but I didn't be able to continue. I'm now trying every evening before sleeping.

belminjahic 提交于 周日, 22/03/2020 - 21:22

永久连接
Mindfulness is a great tehnique in these modern days.It tells us just to relax in some situations.The best example of mindfulness is song of Dutch singer Douwe Bob.Name of the song is "Slow down" and song tells us just to relax and to live our lives,and not to worry about consequences.Great article.CONGRATS
Mindfulness is a great tool because in modern life we don't have many times to thinking about our emotions. This technique give possibility to be aware our emotions, feeling and some things which happen in the present. I try to practice this technique one time per day. I take a quiet time, during with I try to observe what happen inside me.

Nuha1993 提交于 周四, 21/11/2019 - 20:46

永久连接
Yes I have tried mindfulness sometimes ,When I cooked, eat and reading. Also when I went to sopping my focus is increase.so day after day make this techniques you become better.

Nyima dolma lama 提交于 周三, 23/10/2019 - 17:06

永久连接
Yeah of course that was my wonderful experience . For me skills required for mindfulness is meditating therefore whatever I had learned about dealing with our destructive emotions, making every single day purposeful , being conscious about each of our actions from my spiritual teacher I had been given my best to this meditation practice in daily life especially in morning time which really assists me to be aware how my things are going and what I will be doing next in every single step . It’s a genuine way of understanding and acting on mindfulness

Teji 提交于 周五, 04/10/2019 - 04:43

永久连接
I think meditation is the best way to be mindful therefore I'm planning to start it doing regularly in the mornings. perhaps usually I find it tough to stay consistent at something but knowing the importance of mindfulness I'll try it anyway.

anaa_subir 提交于 周一, 30/09/2019 - 10:53

永久连接
Hello everybody, Two years ago I participated in a mindfulness course for touristique guides. More than for my job it help me in my everyday life. I used to worry about every thing, not doing things because of the risks they had. For example I didn't drive because of that. This practise help me to realise that I only can be worry about the thing I can controle not the other people actions. My small circle of actions. One month later I started driving and nowadays I drive every day. So I recommend everyone to get to know mindfullness. Best regards

Akmal Karimov 提交于 周五, 20/09/2019 - 09:31

永久连接
Mindfulness Day is celebrated on 12 September!!! This is the first time I hear it!!! It was interesting information for me.

Mohammed Hassa… 提交于 周四, 19/09/2019 - 09:10

永久连接
It is a very useful article. I will try to do this frequently.

om mariam 提交于 周三, 18/09/2019 - 15:56

永久连接
I remember that I came over the phrase mindfulness a few days a go but when I read the article I realized it isn’t like what I guessed.So it appears that I didn’t try any techniques related to mindfulness but surprisingly I have been doing it without knowing this idiom, as a mother and housewife my every day tasks seem endless leave me to the circle of depression and frustration and the result of course will be mindless. But the only thing takes me from this mess is my prayers; when I standup and calling up my god five times a day at these moments I try to be clear-headed , more conscious and relax.

parisaach 提交于 周二, 17/09/2019 - 05:42

永久连接
Actually I didn't know anything about the English world 'mindfulness' before I read this article, and I've never read about the mindfulness techniques before, but as soon as I read the first technique I tried it and it was interesting. I think I am a mindless person, though I still don't know exactly which persons are mindful. I usually don't have any plan and never finish the things that I start.I still don't finish my master education after 5 years and it is embarrassing, everybody make fun of it . The only thing that I stick to, is my karate classes, I really enjoy of doing exercise and having stronger body . After reading this article I searched for mindfulness techniques and I found some interesting techniques, some of them are really easy but doing these exercises continuously is really difficult, especially for me , as I saind I'm not mindful.
To my mind my brain makes it in a natural way without a special effort because mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we are doing, that’s a natural process, while all the new bedazzles attracts us focusing on the present moment. Mindfulness asks us to suspend judgment and unleash out natural curiosity about the working of the mind with warmth and kindness.
Have I tried any mindfulness techniques? That’s quite a question! I never have thought about technique to focus on a piece of food, typically a raisin, instead of eating it without thinking. I never have looked speсially carefully at it and I never have noticed speсially how it feels in my fingers, I never have speсially smelled it. I think my daily life focuses me on the present moment: my brain as a computer suggests what I should do at the certain moment basing on the entries that I made in it previously as in a dairy.

Nada bido 提交于 周二, 27/08/2019 - 11:32

永久连接
It is my First time hearing about "Mindfulness". I'm looking forward to practicing some of its techniques and reading more about it.

Olena Tsypyashchuck 提交于 周二, 21/05/2019 - 18:52

永久连接
I found out about mindfulness not long ago and I`m very interested in it. I want to add that it also helps to get rid of consequences of false teachings. That is if someone had such an experience. I`ll willngly go to this training in my city.

al_amaal 提交于 周五, 11/01/2019 - 02:46

永久连接
thanks a lot for this great article. I had a great time.