You are here
An email to your professor
Learn how to write an email to your university professor.
Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
- Use the person's job title if you don't know their name (e.g. Dear Admissions Tutor, Dear Marketing Manager).
- Start your email by clearly giving your reason for writing. Then you can explain the problem.
- People are busy, so make it short and clear. Just include the most important information.
- If you have a solution to the problem, suggest it and politely ask if it can be done. If you don't, politely request help.
- Finish by thanking the person for their help and offering to discuss the matter further if necessary.
- Regards, (also With regards, Best regards, or Kind regards,) is a more friendly-sounding sign-off than Yours sincerely, but it is still formal.